Soup at school.

mydebe, Feb 16, 12:05am
Hi all. I've been thinking about school lunches in the winter, our busiest season with rugby and netball practices after school most days. I often feel quite sorry for my kidlets who are half starved (according to them!) by the time they get home. Was thinking I could make up some super batches of soup, make them thermonuclear in the morning and send the off to school in flasks. Do you think this would stay warm until lunchtime! Recommendations around good thermos brands! I'm sure other parents have been doing this for their children for years but this idea has been a revelation for me! TIA.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 12:08am
The "Thermos" brand. Buy the stainless steel one. You can buy their food flask which will take thick soup or things like macaroni cheese, spaghetti bolognaise etc.

suzanna, Feb 16, 12:24am
Check with the school as some schools are so pc now they wont allow flasks as they could burn the child. Load of rubbish as donkeys years ago we always had soup in the winter for school lunches with no resulting injuries that I can recall.

auntlb, Feb 16, 12:28am
We have food flasks here too - the kids take all sorts of hot meals for lunch during winter.Soups, casseroles, pasta dishes, rice and mince etc

cookessentials, Feb 16, 12:51am
Crazy Huh! At primary school, I remember them making hot chocolate ( they used those huge tea pots ( aluminium I might add!) with hot water and cocoa and I think they also used to do soup in later years!

rainrain1, Feb 16, 4:58am
you can buy small stainless steal thermos with a tiny cup.I think they hold 1+1/2 to 2 cups

duckmoon, Feb 16, 7:22am
My kids have a thermos with a wide neck

I like it because it is stainless steel not glass

dolphinfan, Feb 17, 1:30am
Can someone tell me where to get this kind of thermos from! Thanks

cookessentials, Feb 17, 1:33am
Thermos brand s/s food flask should be available most places like Farmers,Briscoes or cookware stores I would imagine. Make sure it is the Thermos brand though

ruby19, Feb 18, 4:13am
My kids had plastic flasks with wide necks, they took to school, not sure of the brand though. They we're a big hit in winter. Mine were purchased at briscoes.
I always thought a soup kitchen at schools would be a great idea, warm nourishing food, which could be inexpensive to make.

rarogal, Feb 20, 8:06am
My daughter sent vege soup in wide mouthed small thermos with her children and made,sure the soup was warm, not too hot.still couldn't win, the teacher asked one of them to stop bringing soup because all the other kids wanted it. Well, maybe tell the other kids to stop asking.was my thought!

julz29, Feb 20, 8:17am
Tupperware have just bought out a new thermos which keeps it warm for longer