Looking for low sugar / no sugar baking recipes

turtleshark, Feb 20, 1:41am
Hi, I am looking for some recipes suitable for the kids lunchboxes that contain no or low amounts of sugar. Hoping someone can help!I am on a very tight budget, so need to stick to pretty basic ingredients. TIA.

vmax2, Feb 20, 2:19am
Although not baking, how about ideas like fruit, carrot sticks, celery sticks, packet of raisins, nuts, boiled eggs.

cookessentials, Feb 20, 2:26am
Hi turtleshark, below is a link for somelow sugar cooking and baking that you might find helpful

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/collections/low-sugar-recipes/

turtleshark, Feb 20, 5:00am
Thanks very much, I will have a look at that.

uli, Feb 20, 5:14am
Baking without sugar usually ends up something like bread.

If you like to make cakes then you will have to use artificial sweetener or you could try if you like the taste of stevia.

Alternatively you can use agave syrup, honey or other subs for sugar - but at the end of the day it is still sugar, just in another form and it certainly ain't cheap either.

lilyfield, Feb 20, 5:22am
better to cut the sugar by half in your standard recepis
pikelets- scones with a few sultanas in it, muffins- no sugar, but a dollop of jam in the middle before baking.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 20, 6:14am
If the budget is tight then you need the most nutritious foods so that the children will be satiated and not be feeling starving again an hour later. Vmax's ideas are good. There's no reason why baking should part of anyone's lunch. I'll bet it isn't in your lunch.So start good nutrition habits early.

cookessentials, Feb 20, 8:20am
My goodness, the original poster asked for recipes, not a lecture!

toadfish, Feb 20, 4:59pm
There is alot of peer pressure around lunch box's.I surcumbed to "packets" but I had a rule of only 1 per lunch - ie a meusli bar or yoghurt or small chippies.The girls used to complain as some of their friends had 3 or 4 per lunch (Waste of money and full of C#%p). Now they are older Miss 20 said she can see my point.
Muffins are great for lunchboxs. Also with all those plastic containers now a days you can buy a big bag of something and put a handful in the box.

toadfish, Feb 20, 4:59pm
Toadies Healthy Lunchbox Sultana squares
I made it in a 23cm x 23cm Silicone Cake Tin. I used 500gms of mixed fruit. (I finished up the Sultanas & Raisins approx 300gms and then used 200gms of mixed fruit).Covered with boiling water with 2 x tea bags, left overnight & then I added 1.5 cups of whole meal flour (trying to avoid "empty" white flour) and a heaped teaspoon of Baking powder and 1 egg. Then it baked in the oven for about 30 mins. Its more like a slice (Good as that’s what I planned when I decided to change it from a loaf tin to a cake tin) I cut it into 20 pieces (4 x 5) and each of those pieces has been pointed out at Weight Watchers 1.5 points per square.

toadfish, Feb 20, 5:00pm
FRUIT LOAF
grated carrot 1 cup
chopped dried apricots ½ cup
sultanas ½ cup
apple 1 medium, peeled and chopped
apple juice ¼ cup
orange juice ¼ cup
water 3/4 cup
raw sugar ¼ cup
self raising flour 1 cup
plain flour ½ cup
baking soda 1 teaspoon
ground cinnamon 3 teaspoons
bananas 2 medium, sliced thinly

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
Place carrot, apricots, sultanas, apple, juices, water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for 15 mins.Cool to room temperature.
Stir in the sifted dry ingredients and banana.Spread mixture into loaf tin. Bake for 1 hour.
MAKES ABOUT 10 SLICES

toadfish, Feb 20, 5:01pm
Oatbran Banana Muffins
2 1/4 cups oat bran
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar -- packed
1/4 cup chopped pecans -- or walnuts
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2 bananas -- very ripe
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 425º. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the milk, bananas, egg whites, and oil in a bowl or blender. Add to the dry ingredients and mix. Line the muffin pan with paper baking cups and fill them with batter. Bake for 15 minutes. Watch closely that these do not overcook.