Cheese and onion Sandwiches

proffessor_plum, Feb 21, 4:11am
Kids have decided they want these in their school lunches after being taken out for a treat lunch (thanx Grandma!).I know you mix grated cheese with finely chopped onion, but what are the ratios!Is there anything I should be putting in, it just doesnt seem to taste right.Thanx

lilyfield, Feb 21, 4:14am
my son loved them too until told by class mates that he stunk of onion

gilligee, Feb 21, 4:23am
Only use a small amount of onion, chives are milder.

terachaos, Feb 21, 4:26am
Mix the cheese and onion together with a teeny amount of hot water:)

.and put a pack of (kid-friendly) peppermints in their school bags.

lythande1, Feb 21, 4:28am
Husband has his:
cheese to cover bread slice (grated) then finely chop a thin slice of onion, and sprinkle like you would with pepper.about that much.

panicky, Feb 21, 4:37am
I've seen some odd people have mayonnaise in them

korbo, Feb 21, 4:41am
yep, a lot of the cafes mix the cheese/onion with a little mayo, as it sticks to the bread. For kiddies, I would put more cheese to onion.
red onion might be better for them.

dibble35, Feb 21, 5:13am
Red onion is good in these, lots milder

lodgelocum, Feb 21, 5:20am
My favourite, a cheese and onion sandwich.Made them every day in my cafes for years, grated cheese, onion, spring onion for a bit of greenery and a small amount of mayo, all mixed together in a food processor, an easier consistency to spread on bread. Yum yum.

mothergoose_nz, Feb 21, 5:27am
i grate the cheese and finely chop they onion. then a secret is to add a littleboiling water to blend it all together. my son went through a stage of pickled onion sandwiches. felt sorry for his classmates.

hilt_dwane, Feb 21, 5:29am
I used to grate the cheese in my Ralta Whizz, add finely diced onion, pepper, then mix with a little milk - all in the whizz. The milk made a nice spreadable consistency

hilt_dwane, Feb 21, 5:32am
mothergoose - I wanted your user name when I signed up since my surname is a male goose :) but it was already taken!
My username elsewhere on the net is kiwigoose cos I'm the kiwi in the partnership here, hubby is a Pom

nauru, Feb 21, 6:12am
Try cooking the onion a little first & then add it to your cheese, (I zap it in the MW for 1 minute) that will get rid of the strong raw onion smell.

ange164, Feb 21, 7:20am
1/2 cup grated cheese; 1T very finely chopped onion, 1/2 Tcream cheese. Soften cream cheese with onion on top in the microwave, Mix together and spread on.

digger148, Feb 21, 8:05am
Pickled onion cut into chunky rings, with a slab of cheddar, in between a couple of slices of ploughman's is a favourite in this blokes lunch box.

clevercloggs, Feb 21, 8:15am
I mix finely chopped onion with grated cheese and enough mayonaise to make a spreadable consistency. It's lovely made fresh or toasted.

wheelz, Feb 21, 9:41am
Damn .now I'm hungry

asue, Feb 21, 9:45am
I grate cheese - soften a bit in microwave - then add a bit of boiling water and beat til creamy then add finely chopped onion!

aktow, Feb 21, 12:11pm
yummy,, i had a cheese and onion toasted sandwiches for dinner the other night.i put cheese and onion in bread, put it intoastbag and straight in toaster,,, yummy

susieq9, Feb 22, 1:07am
We have these when we go out fishing.Couple of slices of cheese, mainly mild, and sliced up red onion between fresh white bread. Yummy. If we have any left when we get home, we toast them.

proffessor_plum, Feb 23, 4:19am
Thanks for all your suggestions.
aktow, whats a toast bag!