Scotch Eggs

uli, Feb 25, 5:46am
bump for scotch eggs.

gilligee, Feb 25, 6:18am
Basic recipe.
Boil 4 eggs and peel under cold water.
Squeeze out one roll of sausage meat with back of a knofe.
Divide into 4.
Wet hands and flatten the meat and wrap around the egg.
Shake in a small basin of crumbs.
Bake in oven turning regularily.
Nice hot or cold.

lindylambchops1, Feb 25, 6:42am
I crumb my Scotch Eggs in Sage & Onion stuffing.Makes a tasty change.

lindylambchops1, Feb 25, 6:46am
To that basic mixture I add 1 cup rolled oats, slosh or two of tomato sauce, slosh of soy sauce, curry powder approx 1 teaspoonful, then when they are shaped shake them in a bag that has sage & onion stuffing mix in.

Very tasty!

lindylambchops1, Feb 25, 6:47am
Oh yes & I cook them in either the oven or microwave.

chooky, Feb 25, 9:19am
Just want to know if you can freeze scotch eggs once cooked. Thought i might make up a pile for lunches if they freeze. Thanks.

gilligee, Feb 25, 9:20am
That sounds delicious.
My title should have been 'Quick and Easy'.

greerg, Feb 25, 8:30pm
Yes - do it for my sons.Mineare baked not deep fried but it shouldn't make a difference.

daleaway, Feb 25, 11:39pm
Greerg, would you please let me have your recipe and cooking instructions for baked scotch eggs! TIA

greerg, Feb 26, 1:57am
All I do is hard boil six eggs.De-skin 9 good quality sausages (could use sausage meat - 100 grms per egg - I just prefer lower fat) and mix the meat with a good quantity of chopped fresh herbs (I use sage, parsley and thyme but any that you like or use dried herbs) and some black pepper.The sausages have enough salt.Flatten patties of the meat mixture on your hand, sit the eggs on them and mould the meat round them.Make sure you obliterate the joins or they'll splt.Roll in dried breadcrumbs and bake at 180 C for about 20 mins.Because the baked eggs don't have the brown colouring of the deepfried ones I buy wholemeal crumbs then toast them under the grill.I do a whole pkt so I have enough for several batches.You have to stir them every minute or two until you're happy with the colour.

daleaway, Feb 26, 2:15am
Brilliant instructions, thanks.
Haven't had a good one in years. The readymade ones you can buy round Wellington are waaaaay too salty. Plus they look withered. And their sausage meat is gristly, ugh.

I still remember the delicious ones you could get from James Smith in its department store heyday. They had onion in them, but I think they also made their own sausage meat. They set a standard I have never been able to emulate - but I'll give it a go with your technique!

blackbriar, Feb 26, 2:54am
I cook my scotch eggs in the microwave - they are lovely.Wrap each one in a paper towel and cook on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes each.