Watties Baked Beans - not gluten free anymore

animal_rescue, Feb 22, 9:10pm
I am sure these used to have the 'maize thickener' only, not wheat.I see the label now says "wheat flour". Can someone confirm that Watties BB used to be gluten free, or is my memory turning to custard (gluten free custard of course).

earthangel4, Feb 22, 9:35pm
Hi,
Baked beans have always had gluten in them,this is one food I miss.

frances1266, Feb 22, 10:54pm
I think Oak baked beans are gluten free.

mica3, Feb 23, 12:11am
Yep Watties always had gluten. Last time I looked Oak was gluten free

geldof, Feb 23, 12:43am
Try Home brand as well.

oscarnz, Feb 23, 1:59am
Watties lite baked beans are ok

accroul, Feb 23, 2:26am
If Watties Baked Beans are now made with wheat flour rather than cornflour I say Yay!sorry to all the GF people out there, but my dh who used to love baked beans is intolerant to corn (ds is too, but he's a spaghetti boy).

animal_rescue, Feb 23, 9:01am
Thanks guys, will check the other brands.Accroul, sorry, but Watties have the maize thickener in AS WELL as the wheat flour.You might have to cook your own beans, lol.

pigletnz25, Feb 23, 11:18pm
Oak baked beans are gluten free, and i see another brand in the gluten free section as well

uli, Feb 23, 11:28pm
It is the NZ English language that makes it difficult.
"Corn" starch in NZ can be made from wheat.

It is then called "wheaten cornflour" - if you are lucky.

Often it is simply called "corn flour" and only if you read the ingredients you find out that it is actually wheat.

So lets hope they will keep those info panels going and not simply tell us what is good for us with red, orange and green lights upon all the packs.

coralsnake, Feb 24, 9:53am
Corn starch is made from maize aka corn.
Called cornflour in NZ.
Sometimes preferred over flour as a thickening agent as it is translucent v flour is opaque.

I use a baby powder that contains cornstarch.

accroul, Feb 24, 8:21pm
Using wheat AND maize! stupid!
I buy Whole Earth baked beans - they don't taste like Watties and twice the price but no maize or wheat.

accroul, Feb 24, 8:31pm
You should see the package I have in front of me now - it has 2 contradicting ingredient lists on the SAME wrapper! I bought the item only noticing the first list & deemed it safe for DH to consume, a week later when I went to use it, I noticed another list at the bottom which totally negated my earlier decision.

amiri1, Feb 24, 10:57pm
I used to think the same thing until I read the ingredients. I've only found 1 actual "corn"flour in the supermarket, I think it's edmonds.
I use it for homemade talc. The wheaten "corn"flour has a very slightly different texture.
Also arrowroot powder is now actually tapioca starch (the brands I've managed to find). There's a lot of substitutes that we don't really know about unless you read the fine print.
Sorry, no baked beans advice, it's all been said.

uli, Feb 25, 4:54am
Read the posts above this to realize that you might be naive.
As I posted above - corn starch in NZ can be made of wheat.
So read the labels!

arty12b, Feb 25, 9:13am
rang watties and they said the lite baked beans gluten free so gave them to hubby but rather crook in half an hour so there is something in there

motorbo, Feb 25, 11:49am
i think countdown brand is ok

coralsnake, Feb 25, 1:57pm
If the label shows such then it's actually 'wheaten GRAIN flour' which goes back to 'corn' being an old word for 'grain' which originally did not specify a species hence the 19th century Corn Laws in the UK.

However, "cornflour is the name given in Australia to the starch component of milled grains. Despite its name, it is often made from wheat. The whole ground grain is processed to remove most of the proteins (mainly gluten), leaving almost pure starch."I won't go into the molecular ins and outs et al.

Are you aware that FSANZ regulations require such cornflour to declare that it contains wheat and gluten, and it is usually described as wheaten cornflour. There are some brands of cornflour that are made from maize, however.

From wheatfree.org:"Cornflour is wheat free and gluten free which makes it the ideal thickening agent for wheat and gluten allergy cooking."

This can be argued until the cows come home!

uli, Feb 26, 1:52am
You do not have to argue - you have to understand that English is not a very correct language (as you said above) and therefore read your labels if you have a problem with gluten.

Not difficult really.

It is also not difficult to simply cook food as opposed to packaged stuff - then you will never have any problems with reading labels either :) because a cabbage fresh from the garden has no labels and no gluten.

korbo, Feb 26, 2:47am
arty, I would ring Watties again, and double check to see what else is in there.
I am very interested in that.