Fresh Chillies

keysie, Feb 23, 7:28pm
I have about 6 sandwich bags full of assorted chillies in the freezer. Does anyone have any recipes to use them up please. Ta

tigra, Feb 23, 8:35pm
Crikey you can put chillies in almost anything except Pikelets. Just grab an Asian cook book. Hope they are hot ones.

mumstu, Feb 23, 9:05pm
Oh Love them.you can put them in anything, but remember the seeds are really hot.

keysie, Feb 24, 2:17am
Thanks I know you can put them in lots of things, but only one person eats them. What I am after is a chutney or relish etc that uses a lot in one go or they are going to be in my freezer for years to come.

cottagerose, Feb 24, 2:18am
I use them in tomato relish. Theres a good recipe in the edmonds cook book. The one with brown sugar is the nicest.
My first time I used them I had very sore hands afterwards so now use disposable gloves when cutting up and NO seeds used

kamitchell, Feb 24, 2:40am
what about a nice hot curry

olwen, Feb 24, 2:49am
Tries to imagine chillies in a sponge

kiwigoldie, Feb 24, 4:58am
HOT CHILLI SAUCE
40 Chillies (yes I know seems a lot - can cut back if you want)
2 large cooking apples (or can of precooked)
3 cloves of garlic
Process all of the above in whiz
Add 1 tbspn plain salt
21/2lbs sugar
750mls of malt vinegar
Simmer all these for 25 minutes to ½ hour
Add 1 ltr can of tomato sauce.
Simmer another ½ hour
Bottle and cap when cold.

kiwigoldie, Feb 24, 5:03am
Here is the famous chilli sauce recipe

30 chillies

4 red capsicums

3 cups sugar

1 pint white vinegar

Juice of 3 lemons

2 inches fresh ginger

3 tsp salt

500 gms apples

500 gms onions

Mince or process fruit and vegetables in food processor.Cook all ingredients together until tender, about 1 hour.Bottle and cover when cold.

Alternatively, adjust quantities to suit yourself!Don’t add too many extra chilli seeds unless you need a good clean out.

This one is my very favourite one.depending on how many chillies you add/or add an extra apple or including or leave out the seeds you can vary the hotness.we use this recipe to make a mild chilli sauce all the way up ot what we call "bum burner".Lasts for ages. I put a spoonful into just about everything from soups, casseroles, mince dishes, its very yummy.

keysie, Feb 24, 7:59am
Thanks thats just what I was after, does it matter if I have a mixture of chilli types and do you leave the seeds in.

bisloy, Feb 24, 11:19pm
Chilli jam - yummo!

kiwigoldie, Feb 26, 7:54am
it doesn't matter what type of chillies and if you leave the seeds in in will make it even hooer so that is personal preference

keysie, Mar 17, 2:15am
Quick question kiwigoldie, is that 2 and a half pounds of sugar, that's an awful lot when I look at it. Ta

jessie981, Mar 17, 5:09am
From experience last week, don't rub your eyes afteryou've cut them & think I've washed my hands so will be ok. Stays on your fingers. I have Chilli Peppers. They are good