Carambola or Star Fruit

raloki, Feb 28, 5:57am
I have some recipes for using this fruit, but it is not always available where I live. If I can't get it does anyone know what would be a good substitute to use! Thanks.

sarahb5, Feb 28, 5:59am
No idea - I've never even seen it for sale here

lurtz, Feb 28, 7:28am
Never seen them in NZ.

I quite enjoyed them when I worked in Singapore. I have looked for them in NZ but never seen them. However others may have.

hilt_dwane, Feb 28, 7:46am
Think I saw them in Brisbane last year - I remember seeing the name but cannot recall what they look like. What do they taste like and how do you use them!

arcane1315, Feb 28, 8:07am
What about a nashi pear - they sort of tasted like that to me, different texture though

Hilt dwane they are yellow orangey oblong, with five or six points.When you slice them the slices look like stars thus the name.

mossum, Feb 28, 8:35am
I've never seen them in NZ either - in fact i had forgotten entirely about them - i used to use them as garnish or in a fruit salad to make it look pretty .they were quite expensive in the UK .
what was the other thing ! like an orangy small fruit with a papery brown !flower!I cant remember :-P

sarahb5, Feb 28, 8:45am
Kumquat!

davidt4, Feb 28, 9:32am
Star fruit doesn't really have much personality - you could use watermelon or even cucumber.It's mainly there for the juiciness and crunch.

raloki, Feb 28, 9:41am
Do you mean a cape gooseberry!Thanks for all the answers. I have only seen them once or twice in our local supermarket.