Recipes for cooking rooster

lynic.equine, Feb 28, 10:58pm
So we have done our first homekill rooster, I am thinking about trying coq au vin, but any other suggestions for some nice recipes using rooster would be great. (have never tried it, have heard it can be quite tough and/or yucky!) Any tips/tricks!

fifie, Mar 1, 12:34am
Yes they can be tough and stringy. I'd Slow cook ,or boil, pull the meat off and make something like this.
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE CRUMBLE
This is an easy, can be prepared ahead, almost all-in-one meal and a good way of using up leftover cooked chicken. Came from here not sure who posted it but is good.
2 cups (360g) chopped cooked chicken
500g frozen mixed vegetables
1 x 440g can condensed cream of asparagus soup (or other soup of choice)
2/3 cup stale breadcrumbs
½ cup grated tasty cheese
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Thaw the frozen vegetables and drain them to remove as much excess liquid as possible.
Combine the chicken, vegetables and soup in an 8 cup capacity ovenproof dish.
Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley in a bowl, then sprinkle the mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
Bake at 180ºC for about 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the crumble is heated through. Serve with e.g. baked potatoes or fresh bread.
Serves 4-5.
There is plenty of scope for variation on the above basic recipe - add e.g. sauteed onions or leeks, sauteed mushrooms, bacon. and, of course, vary the soup flavour according to personal preference and what is available. Because I was usually only needing to feed 3 people I served the Crumble as is without any extra vegetables, etc, but to provide more servings, serve it with additional vegetables, salad, potatoes. :-))

uli, Mar 1, 3:12am
Depends how old he is.
I wouldn't do a coq au vin with anything older than 6 months.

But here are some recipes:
https://www.google.co.nz/search!q=coq+au+vin&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=x2w&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=ghswUaq0IIX3mAWevoDQDg&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=875

Older chooks go into hot boiling water with lots of herbs, celery, leek, onion, carrot until just soft and then they stay there to cool down in the liquid - which further cooks them.

The next day I de-bone and cut across the grain of the meat into small bits and use them either in the strained soup with veges and pasta (if you like pasta in your soup) or make a chook stroganoff with lots of mushrooms or a chicken salad with veges and mayo (which can also go on sandwiches).

245sam, Mar 1, 3:27am
fifie, thanks for posting the above recipe and your comment/feedback ".but is good.".I first posted the recipe, and the accompanying notes/variations, here on the MB a few years ago after using it for a number of years.I agree that it would be a great way to use the rooster after first slow cooking or simmering it.:-))

pickles7, Mar 1, 4:13am
cook it in, cider. lol.

petal1955, Mar 1, 4:29am
Rooster would be a big old and stringy and tough.so suggest cutting into pieces and slow cooking in the slow cooker.with plenty of spices and seasonings and some veggies.GOOD LUCK

elliehen, Mar 1, 4:50am
Apparently the doodle-doo is a delicacy.