Beetroot Salad recipe please

terachaos, Jan 16, 6:45am
Just made a beetroot salad with roasted beets and red onions, as per a recipe I found, and it's finished off with feta and toasted walnuts, seasoned with salt and pepper. Sadly it was rather bland and I would really love a nice tasty recipe if someone would be kind enough to share a tried and true combination.
TIA

matakatia, Jan 16, 6:53am
This one is good. I don't always put the rasins in though :) I think beetroot salads always need some lemon juice.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moroccan_grated_carrot_and_beet_salad/

lynneandella, Jan 16, 7:09am
I would have caramelised the onions =)

petal1955, Jan 16, 7:30am
Beetroot Salad
w Sour Cream/Horseradish Dressing

1 kg Beetroot cooked and skinned
3 Tablespoons shredded Mint

Dressing
½ cup sour cream
1-2 tablespoons horseradish cream
¼ cup oil
Juice and Zest of 1 lemon
Freshly Ground pepper

Dice or slice beetroot. Add dressing and sprinkle over mint.

linette1, Jan 16, 10:52am
Grated Raw Beet Salad
(adapted from Martha Rose Shulman recip[e via The New York Times)
Ingredients
3 smaller beetroots (not the really large ones)
1 grated carrot(optional)
1 small apple Braeburn (optional)
Juice of 1 freshly squeezed orange
Juice of 1/2 small freshly squeezed lemon
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Honey to sweeten if liked.
A smidgeon of wholegrain mustard.
1/2 to 1 tablespoon minced chives, mint or parsley (or a combination)
I used 1/2Tbsp of mint only and too much is overpowering
Salt to taste
1. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler, and grate in a food processor fitted with the shredding blade. (Can use rubber gloves the surgical kind and an ordinary old style grater)
2. Combine the orange juice, lemon juice and olive oil and honey and mustard.Mix wellwith the beets and herbs. Season to taste with salt.
Advance preparation: The grated beets can be dressed and kept in the refrigerator, covered well, for a couple of days. They become more tender but don’t lose their texture, and the mixture becomes even sweeter as the beet juices mingle with the citrus. Toss again before serving.
This is the original recipe:Grated Raw Beet Salad
(from Martha Rose Shulman via The New York Times)
Ingredients
1/2 pound beets
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon minced chives, mint or parsley (or a combination)
Salt to taste
Leaves of 1 romaine heart
1. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler, and grate in a food processor fitted with the shredding blade.
2. Combine the orange juice, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss with the beets and herbs. Season to taste with salt. Line a salad bowl or platter with romaine lettuce leaves, top with the grated beets and serve.
Yield: Serves four.

dbab, Jan 16, 9:30pm
I dice raw beetroot, add chopped garlic and then pour over a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for about 45 minutes at 180*C
Pour any left over juices over it to serve warm or it keeps well in the fridge.
You can always add a little more balsamic vinegar after it's cooked if you need to.

bisloy, Jan 17, 11:12pm
Cut beetroot into bite-sized pieces and boil until jsut tender. Drain and put into a serving dish with a little sesame seed oil and toss. When the beetroot is cooled, chop up/crumble feta over the top and roughly chopped roasted almonds. Boiling the beetroot without any lemon juice or vinegar leaves it very nutty and sweet. The feta provides a good salty counter to the sweetness and the almonds give a nice crunch.
A household favourite - including my pre/teen children.

me_nu, Jan 17, 11:19pm
Roast beetroot with a bit of garlic, once cooked put in a bowl with a bag of baby spinch, 1 can of gently heated chickpeas, feta & some finely sliced red onions. When pumpkins are in season I add pumpkin as well.

bev00, Feb 26, 10:34am
Young spinach leaves, cubed feta, chopped sundried tomatoes, chopped fresh tomatoes, red onion, beetroot.
Mix some of the beetroot juice with olive oil and balsamic vinegar season and pour over the salad toss.nice with lamb and cubed potatoes.

Quotemakespacenow (111 )1:29 pm, Sat 4 Feb #2
Beetroot Salad
Roast peeled beetroot which have been cut into about 2cm chunks, with lots of salt and pepper in the oven. (your tinned ones will have to do :}
Let cool and add cubes of feta cheese, red onion sliced very fine, and dress the salad with flat leaf parsley, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and whole grain mustard. Mix it all up (gently) in a bowl and then serve.
You could add the rocket if you want.

Edited by fisher at 1:32 pm, Sat 4 Feb

rainrain1, Feb 26, 6:34pm
roast your beets with a bit of brown sugar and good balsamic

3chapters, Mar 1, 6:15am
Here is one that I make for a man who is a meat eater but really likes this salad.

Just cube beetroot, feta cheese, cucumber. gherkin, salami, cherry tomatoes.Mix and just before serving drizzle a little vinegrette dressing over it and toss.

Its easy, tasty and my meateater loves it