Creamed rice

thea4, Feb 20, 3:46am
I have been given a rice cooker and would like to try creamed rice any advice welcome

ange164, Feb 21, 7:21am
Sorry, I can't help as I make mine in a pot or a crockpot. But bumping incase anyone else does theirs in a rice cooker.

davidt4, Feb 21, 9:10am
I've made creamed rice with coconut milk in a rice cooker and it worked really well.The manual warned against using milk, but I dont see that it would be a problem as long as you stir it from time to time and dont let it burn.

flower-child01, Feb 23, 10:19am
This is my recipe I do in the pot, so it would be very easy to do in a rice cooker, I also replace the cream with more milk and it works fine.

Creamed rice pudding

Creamed rice is my go-to dessert when there’s nothing in the house and it’s too cold to venture out.

½ (half) cup short grain or risotto rice
3 cups full cream milk
200ml thickened cream
50g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Place rice in medium saucepan with 2 ½ cups water and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, drain and rinse rice under cold water.
Return rice to clean saucepan, add milk, cream, caster sugar and vanilla. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour until rice is tender and liquid is thick.
Remove from heat and serve.

karlymouse, Feb 23, 10:50am
My tip is to use arborio rice with cream. Its delicious.

davidt4, Feb 23, 8:52pm
Yes - I like Aborio as it holds its shape and doesn't totally collapse.

juli55, Feb 24, 3:32am
Flower-child01: I would love to give your recipe to the chef at the respite I go to.He used LONG grain rice which he didn't cook long enough and the pudding was CRUNCHY. BLERK!

flower-child01, Feb 28, 3:09am
Juli you are more than welcome. I often add 1/2 a teaspoon of salt to the rrice in the initial cook, just somedays I find it is a little bland. But it is so yummy, and creamy.

thea4, Mar 1, 12:23pm
thank you all