Can I put tomato Sauce in plastic bottles or shoul

scannell2, Mar 2, 9:52am
or should i put it in glass bottles! they will be airtight once i put the lids on them but am not sure if its a big no no to put them in plastic bottles! will prob give most of it away so its not like it will be sitting around and will be used, i am thinking it maybe ok as sauce comes in plastic bottles from the shops with these lids on so why do people use glass! thanks for any help i am very new to this but the sauce sure smells yummmmyyyyyyyy

dezzie, Mar 2, 10:11am
I freeze it in sprite bottles then keep it in the fridge as we use it.never tried leaving it out to see what happens.

kaddiew, Mar 2, 10:28am
I've done that several times in the past when I've run out of glass bottles, and the sauce kept perfectly well in the pantry. I used those bottles first though, and stored it in the fridge once opened.

lythande1, Mar 2, 6:48pm
People use glass as they sterilise the jars in the oven or by boiling.
But you can use Sodium metabisulphite to sterilise instead, soak them for 20 mins in the mixture then fill.
If you don't sterilise at all, it won't keep.
You get get it at a brewers shop.

lilyfield, Mar 2, 7:17pm
^this
Or you can do it the lazy way, rinse bottles with strong janola solution followed by boiling water rinse, mightbleave some after taste, but worked for me. Or use jam jars if not enough glas bottles avaiable. Or finish you bottle of whiskey

jag5, Mar 2, 7:29pm
When making sauce there is no need to to sterilse and all that palava.and yes plastic is fine.

kaddiew, Mar 3, 2:27am
I've never sterilised the plastic bottles and yes the sauce did keep.

samsnan, Mar 3, 8:20am
Same as kaddiew said and I use 2 litre milk bottles well washed of course. Never had any go off.

uli, Mar 3, 8:42am
For how long!

kaddiew, Mar 3, 9:12am
I just used the sauce in plastic bottles first, as I said, but it would've been several months. Never felt the need to keep one back to see if it would last years, but they sealed so tightly that it wouldn't surprise me.

jag5, Mar 3, 9:53am
Forever.sauce, due to vinegar content (preservative) does not need to be put into sterilised containers.let it go cold then bottle into plastic or glass.store in a cool dark place as per normal procedure for any preserves.

pickles7, Mar 3, 6:43pm
put it in glass. Some plastics may react to the spices and vinegar. I only put my sauce in plasticsauce bottles, to use.