Dried chilli peppers

wise_one, Mar 2, 1:38am
cant seem to find any at my super market for my relish it says add 12 dried ones what can i use instead

wise_one, Mar 2, 2:13am
anyone plz

davidt4, Mar 2, 2:27am
Do you have any chilli flakes!

wise_one, Mar 2, 2:49am
nope but ive got a jar of chopped chilli if i had to use 12 dried chilli how much from the jar do you think !

davidt4, Mar 2, 3:10am
It's hard to tell without seeing the recipe, as chillies vary in heat.Does the recipe stipulate large, medium or small chillies!How hot are the preserved ones in the jar!It's probably better to use too few than too many, but can you give us an idea of the recipe!

wise_one, Mar 3, 2:37am
its says twelve dried chilli 3kg tomato 1kg onions curry and mustard pwder and 1kg sugar just barely covered with vinegar my jar is masterfoods fresh chopped chilli bit like a paste

wise_one, Mar 3, 2:40am
it just states 12 dried chillis which were shriveled up looking brown things all my jar says is 1tsp =i medium fresh chill so not knowing what the dried ones = im stumped

davidt4, Mar 3, 3:07am
I suggest that you taste a tiny piece of your bottled chillies.If it is really hot (i.e. burns your mouth) use 3 - 4 tsp for the chutney/sauce.If it is medium hot (i.e. has a kick but doesn't burn) use 10 - 12 tsp.

kiwigoldie, Mar 3, 6:48am
I see you in napier I grow chillies from time to time and have some you can have if you want to pop down to tars dale and pick them up.they are dried.no costjust happy to share.

cardiffgirl, Mar 3, 7:22am
Try an Asian supermarket, thats where I get my dried chillies

kiwigoldie, Mar 3, 7:50am
cripes spelling was horrendous.fixed.

jag5, Mar 3, 7:58am
If you buy a packet of Pickling Mix.dried chillies are in that.if you have Binn Inn.they have it loose.

elliehen, Mar 3, 8:06am
I get mine from the ethnic food shelves in the supermarket; you get twice as many for half the price of the little spice packets.

wise_one, Mar 4, 2:43am
thank for that you guys are the best davidt4 i did what you said and relish worked out fine i used 6 tsps cheers