Pie.Help!

xs1100, Mar 4, 3:06am
Im attempting my first Steak & Beer Pie. Have followed the recipe and its been simmering nicely for nearly 45 mins as it should.
Prob is, the meat is still quite firm - have to cook it in the pastry shell for 40mins still but will the meat soften up then! Dont want pie with hard meat inside :(

margyr, Mar 4, 3:26am
most pie fillings need to be cold as well, so I would cook the meat today until it is tender and then make the pie tommorrow.

xs1100, Mar 4, 3:30am
Oh blow, it says simmer for 45 mins then put into pastry case and cook for another 40 mins. If I keep cooking it, it wont get tougher will it!

margyr, Mar 4, 3:35am
whatcut of meat is it! and does your pie have a base or just a lid!

xs1100, Mar 4, 3:42am
prime beef diced and it has a base & lid of puff pastry

margyr, Mar 4, 3:50am
just cook it to almost as tender as you want it, but I would still wait until it was cold before making a pie with it. This time of year I buy the tenderised bbq steak for casserole and stews. If you really want it for tonite, cut some circles of pastry, prick them and bake till golden use these to serve the pie on, and just put a lid on the pie.

xs1100, Mar 4, 3:52am
Thanks so much for your help margyr :)

AS she goes off to find something else for dinner tonight.:(

margyr, Mar 4, 3:55am
you are welcome, and the meat mixture will be nicer tomorrow anyway, stews, casseroles are always nicer the next day.