How big a cake to make?

kcak, Mar 4, 4:39am
I am making a birthday cake (traditional fruit) to feed 70 people, so wonder how big to make it and also need some ideas for decorating. The lady whose birthday it is, is turning 60 but doesn't want the number broadcast ;)

fifie, Mar 4, 5:20am
12 inch square cake should roughly feed 70, if its a rich fruit cake you only want a little slice per serving.
Icing ideas lots of pics out there, google them depends what you want, plain icing and flowers would be nice with no numbers,usually with fruitcake its almond paste and a fondant topping.
http://www.wilton.com/is a great siteto help you with a forum and usually everything you want to know. Hope his might help you.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 4, 5:26am
if fruitcake is cut into inch square pieces, that means an 8"= 64 pieces, so maybe a 9" if you have one! That is if you're going with square, but a 10inch round would be about right too.
I know what you mean about people not wanting the number broadcast, most of the cakes I make ladies don't have a number. An I've found you never really go wrong with flowers for girls :)
Here are some I have done if it helps.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/!set=a.428053567244559.91662.426839600699289&type=3

elliehen, Mar 4, 5:41am
Did you decorate all of those!Amazing skill!

sclaredy_cat, Mar 4, 5:47am
Sure did, it's my favourite hobby - there's a few other albums there but I think ladies and little girls are the best to decorate for, I love to make them something pretty :) it's a lot if work but the look on their faces when they see what I've made them makes it all worth it!

korbo, Mar 4, 8:03am
wowee, just love all of them.

duckmoon, Mar 4, 9:49am
I would make an eight inch cake and decorate it.

And have an iced cake out back, to supplement

duckmoon, Mar 4, 9:50am
Also, depending on age of guests, not every one will accept a piece of birthday day cake - if it is fruitcake

duckmoon, Mar 4, 9:51am
love the diversity of your styles
Go girl go

sclaredy_cat, Mar 4, 5:51pm
Aww thanks :)
OP did our suggestions help!

kcak, Mar 4, 7:25pm
Thank you sclardey cat.You certainly have an amazing talent.