Something yummy with chicken thighs?

kelzzz, Apr 27, 1:11am
I want to do something different than just roasting them. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

purplegoanna, Apr 27, 1:31am
casserole with diced mushrooms, bacon and a yummy creamy sour cream sauce... . mmmmmm

evebee, Apr 27, 1:44am
purplegoanna ---the creamy sour cream sauce sounds yummycould you share the recipe please? thanks.

cookessentials, Apr 27, 1:49am
Hi kelzzz, are you wanting recipes for a whole chicken or pieces?

245sam, Apr 27, 2:00am
cookessentials, kelzzz request is for chicken pieces (thighs) however we don't know whether they are boneless or otherwise - I would assume that they are bone-in as she obviously usually roasts them. :-))

cookessentials, Apr 27, 2:01am
sorry, just noticed the "thighs" bit

cookessentials, Apr 27, 2:06am
SPANISH CHICKEN STEW
75g plain flour
salt and pepper
8 chicken thighs fillets, skin removed, halved
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
300ml chicken stock
juice of 2 oranges
125ml sherry dry
1 tablespoon paprika
200g button mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped

Place flour in a large bowl or plastic bag and season with salt and pepper; add the chicken and lightly coat with flour. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat; add the chicken and cook in batches, until browned; remove from pan.

Heat the remaining oil in the pan; add the onions and garlic and fry for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the chicken, chicken stock, orange juice, sherry and paprika; bring to the boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes; season well with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle with parsley and serve with boiled rice.
This is a heart friendly, but you dont have to remove the skins if you dont want to.

purplegoanna, Apr 27, 2:40am
i dont have one as its all amounts in my head thrown together to get correct taste etc... but theres a basic recipe online http://southernfood. about.com/od/bakedchicken/r/bl20110c.htm i also use it with shredded cooked chicken and fill tortillas with it roll them up and bake them with a little of the sauce and grated cheese (but the sauce needs to be reduced first)

kelzzz, Apr 27, 3:31am
Thanks for the ideas people :)I think I will have a go at some kind of casserole. I don't have any mushrooms or sour cream in the house but can probably adapt.

Instead of frying them when they're floured, can I just put them in the oven and let them brown that way then add stock etc?

cookessentials, Apr 27, 3:41am
You will find they brown better as in the recipe. It really is quite easy.

purplegoanna, Apr 27, 3:54am
bump for other poster

kirinesha, Apr 27, 11:16pm
Bacon Wrapped Chicken in Creamy Tarragon Sauce

Ingredients

2-3 boned/semi boned chicken thighs per person
50gms butter
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 piece of bacon per piece of chicken
Dash of wine
Clove chopped garlic
Good handful of freshly chopped tarragon and parsely
Cream (1/2 cup approx)

Method

Melt butter and dash of oil in pan at low-med heat, add garlic, saute very lightly
Season the chicken and add to pan to brown sides lightly.
Remove and wrap each piece in a rasher of bacon and place seam side down in shallow pyrex dish.
Add a splash of wine to base of dish.
Bake at 170C for 50 mins (test with skewer for doneness) keeping covered for at least 1/2 the time so bacon doesn't dry out.
10 mins before chicken is ready, deglaze butter/garlic pan with a splash of wine, then add enough cream for sauce and freshly chopped tarragon and parsley.
Cook over low heat, stirring until thickened, check seasonings.
Pour over chicken and serve

sam284, Apr 27, 11:57pm
I made this very easy dish last week. Place chicken thighs in dish and sprinkle over 1 packet of mushroom soup powder and the juice of 2 lemons (you can increase amounts of soup and juice if wished as it will just create more of the lovely lemony- mushroomy gravy) Bake as normal with the lid on for much of the cooking for approx 45-1hr (until thighs are cooked) at 180. Lovely served with rice or mashed potatoes.

minik8e, Apr 28, 4:31am
Does anyone have any recipes for them that DON'T include sour cream, or cream, or condensed milk, or cream of mushroom soup... . or anything else dairy based? ? ?

indy95, Mar 11, 4:51pm
Perhaps you would like this one minik8e :-

Sticky Chicken

2 tbsp oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 t turmeric ( or to taste )
12 chicken thighs on the bone
4 tbsp honey
Salt and black pepper
2 tbsp mint chopped, or thyme or parsley if no mint
2 tbsps slivered almonds ( optional )
Juice of half a lemon
Fresh herbs to garnish

Cook onion slowly in oil for about 10 mins to soften, add turmeric and cook for 1 min. Add chicken, honey, seasoning and half the chopped herbs. Put in a grill pan with chicken skin side up and grill for about 30 mins, basting the chicken pieces occasionally. Sprinkle over almonds if using and cook a further few mins until the nuts are browned and the chicken is cooked through and golden brown.

Sprinkle over extra chopped herbs and the lemon juice before serving.

Rather than cooking this under the grill Iusually just cover the chicken with stock andsimmer on the stove top or bake in the oven until browned and cooked through. The sauce can be reduced if necessary before serving or thickened if you prefer.