Tomato relish, chutney, why do we.

korbo, Mar 3, 1:43am
soak the onions and tomatoes in salt overnight.
what actually happens !

My mum's mum's tom relish, is everything in the pot together.
Just wondering.

sammie55, Mar 3, 2:06am
I thought that it was to remove some of the moisture from the vegetables, but I could be wrong,you do drain it after tho, so maybe it is right.

paix1, Mar 3, 2:22am
.never soak mine overnight (except for pickles)

kaddiew, Mar 3, 2:25am
I've done the soaking before but never with tomatoes. Wouldn't they pretty much disintegrate!

samanya, Mar 3, 2:32am
I've never soaked tomatoes, either .but have donefor cucumber pickles.

rainrain1, Mar 3, 4:09am
i dont overnight my tomato relish either, and it doesn't make any difference if you do or don't

korbo, Mar 3, 4:14am
x2
neighbour does his, and a few recipes state to leave overnight. I wonder if it is *chutney*, there again whats the difference !
I do notice that after having relish on toast or crackers, the burp of onion is often there, maybe by soaking the onions, it draws out the **burp**.

elliehen, Mar 3, 4:20am
x1
I put one tablespoon of plain salt on the chopped tomato/onion mix to draw out the excess water overnight and then drain it away.The theory is that tomatoes are very watery and if you leave them 'as is' you water down the vinegar and don't get such an intense flavour.

But if you're happy with the result of what you do, I'd say stick with what works for you.

korbo, Mar 3, 4:29am
ellie.I think you have it right. I knew there was a reason, but thought it was something to do with the onions, as you soak pickle onions overnight in salt water.
Going to give it a try and see if I can tell any difference. thanks

buzzy110, Mar 3, 4:30am
Exactly what I have found. I personally prefer the salted version. Also it is a lot of work processing the tomatoes and onions, etc so it is nice to do it in two steps and finishing the hot cooking in the early morning before it gets too hot and I am fresh.

rainrain1, Mar 3, 4:39am
**burp**still they taste the same**burp**

patsy3, Mar 3, 7:09am
yeah, made a hash of one lot by not drawing out the liquid, so rather than adding more thickening, blitz'd it up for a delicious sauce for pizza adding to casseroles etc. Next lot I salted in the morning, drained and made the relish that evening. delicious too

patsy3, Mar 3, 7:10am
Have never waited for the cucumber version, always ok. Just tomatoes as ellie commented, they are very watery

korbo, Mar 4, 7:21am
x2
have had my onions and toms soaking in salt since 10am today, and now have visitors, so cant make the relish. will it be ok for tomorrow. would it ferment overnight.just never made it this way before.

luvwine, Mar 4, 8:39am
No it won't ferment, it will be fine.

korbo, Mar 5, 1:13am
made this up today, but the taste is slightly different to the relish recipe I have used for years. Still nice, a lot of juice came out of the tomatoes.
It is a slightly thicker consistancy tho.

exile35, Mar 6, 10:05am
I did two batches of relish today. One lot was soaked in a shallower bowl so didn't really sweat the juices out as well, only a few miles to drain off. Will be interesting to see if there is any flavour difference, now have to wash the pan!

dibble35, Mar 6, 9:57pm
I salted my toms and onions (for relish) for4-5 hrs as didnt have time overnight. Got lots of liquid out, relish turned out lovely, having it every morning with cheese on toast.

korbo, Mar 7, 12:06am
so many people I know, have relish on toast, wonder what happened to jam , marmite, honey and peanut butter.