Tomato Sauce mauli or kitchen whiz?

pickles7, Mar 4, 6:44pm
I always use a Mouli to remove seeds and skins, in sauce and jams. Plum sauce I count the plums then remove every stone before putting it through the Mouli, a little time retrieving the stones pays off

elliehen, Mar 4, 8:07pm
I'm always up for a new word - I like 'mauli'.It's onomatopoeia :)

dezzie, Mar 4, 8:18pm
I leave the seeds in but don't damage them like in a whizz, to get the skins out I use an old hand egg beater, the skins wrap nicely around the beater bits, then I swish them off into half a sink full of water, it doesn't take long.my sauce is more "homestyle"

elliehen, Mar 4, 8:19pm
That is a truly original hint!

marob2, Mar 4, 9:24pm
I use my mouli as the skinbits get caught in my throat.Never noticed a change in flavour from any other method.

niffer13, Mar 5, 12:29am
I want to make sauce but no longer have a mauli. Been told kitchen whiz is fine but I am concerned the "mushed up" skins & seeds may change sauce flavour.

susieq9, Mar 5, 12:52am
I use the kitchen whizz and then strain it through a colander. Haven't noticed a change in flavour.

makespacenow, Mar 5, 1:10am
I just use a sieve.cook till mushy then use a cheap warehouse sieve.press gently with a spoon and all the skins/seeds stay in.

korbo, Mar 5, 1:10am
Try using your stick blender. Made tom sauce, soup and relish then stuck the stick blender in. My relish is nice and spreadable. sauce and soup not as smooth. I also use the hand egg beater.

accroul, Mar 5, 1:32am
I do the same.
I don't know if it's my imagination (or not) but I find leaving the seeds in, developes a sort of bitterness.

lythande1, Mar 5, 3:48am
Mouli, not mauli.

jns, Mar 5, 7:36am
I put mine in the food processor, I wasn't sure about just whizzing it all up so did a tiny bit and tasted, was fine, so in it all went.

cookessentials, Mar 8, 1:36am
I use a saucemaster which deseeds and skins the tomatoes.

nauru, Mar 8, 1:57am
I use my stick blender for sauces and some soups, then put through a sieve using my soup ladle as it's quicker than using a spoon.