Baked trout

kayronab, Mar 8, 10:03pm
Any suggestions for baking a whole trout!I have some fresh fennel and lemons.

beaker59, Mar 8, 10:42pm
Well there you go, with the fennel and lemon sliced in the cavity with a few on the outside season well and I sometimes put in a little brown sugar (tiny bit) then wrap it in Tinfoil. bake it at 150 for aprox 30min or so check if cooked. Can be very very nice depending more on the condition of the trout.

kayronab, Mar 8, 11:10pm
Thanks Beaker - I have never cooked or tasted it before.

lemming2, Mar 9, 6:57am
Oh gods, you luckylucky thing .

beaker59, Mar 10, 1:11am
Trout is interesting fish while a seafish tastes pretty much the same any time Trout varies allot over the year and depends on the river it comes from. Basically they taste like the river they come from so a clean river givea a nice clean taste and a bush clad stream has a tannin sort of bush flavour. But condition makes the most difference how fat they are particularly this is usually before they spawn so late summer early autumn they can be awesome fat and silvery coloured then in autumn they start spawning and as they do so they darken in colour and get thinner and thinner until they become what fishermen call slabs these taste aweful and fishermen either put them back or give them away( a reason some people who don't fish don't like trout) these dark fish even the cat won't eat. So if you get offered a cloice don't pick the biggest one pick the fat silvery one even if its the smallest. From a clean water source in top condition Trout would be better than salmon for taste and health giving Omega 3 by a long way.