Annabelle Langbeins banana cake in the oven

molly37, Mar 9, 9:36pm
And I swear if this is dry I promise NEVER to make another banana cake EVER. My 22 year old daughter makes fabulous ones! probably only made one decent one in my life. argh.I've tried them with oil, with sour cream, more butter, more eggs, more bananas, more damn everything. argh! This one you cook on a lower heat for longer.

molly37, Mar 9, 10:31pm
OMG! thanks Annabelle. What a success. Mind you I was devouring it warm straight out of the oven.

maggimae, Mar 10, 12:01am
Awww molly can u share please.

molly37, Mar 10, 12:36am
Prep time:15 minsCook time:1 hour (less for smaller cakes)Makes:1 large cake, 4 small cakes or 12 muffin-sized cakes

250g butter, softened
1½ cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp natural vanilla essence
4 very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 2 cups)
2 tsp baking soda
½ cup hot milk
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder

Lemon icing:
50g butter, softened
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 cups icing sugar

Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a 23cm round cake tin with baking paper or prepare 4 x 10cm tins (recycled large 425g tuna cans are perfect) or 12 muffin tins.

Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla then bananas. Dissolve baking soda in hot milk and add to mixture. Sift over flour and baking powder and fold in.

Spoon mixture into prepared tin(s) and smooth top. Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and the top is springy to the touch. One large cake will take 50-60 minutes, allow 45-55 minutes for 4 medium cakes and about 20 minutes for muffin-sized cakes. Cool in tin and ice when cool. Store in a sealed container in a cool place for 2-3 days or wrap un-iced cake and freeze.

Lemon icing:

Beat together butter, lemon juice, icing sugar and ½ tbsp hot water until creamy.

phil85, Mar 10, 5:11am
i made this last week, i think it was too moist, daughter complained also that it was soggy in her lunch box.

vomo2, Mar 11, 2:38am
Im about to make the usual banana cake.
2 pkts Homebrand cake mix ( Countdown)
make as per instructions but add to this 3 bananas. Yummy as!

luvmykicks, Mar 11, 3:34am
I've made it before it was lovely.

sarahb5, Mar 11, 6:34am
I cooked mine for a bit longer and kept it in the fridge - I think if I'd left it in the box on the bench like I usually do with my baking it would've been mouldy within a couple of days especially in the current hot weather.I wouldn't say it was the best I've ever had but it was one of my better ones.

sarahb5, Mar 11, 6:34am
Throw in some chocolate chips and a splash of vanilla and no-one will ever know (or care)!