OLD FASHIONED LETTUCE SALAD

Page 1 / 2
novices, Mar 7, 7:43pm
Anyone know how to make the old fashioned salad with sliced iceberg lettuce and grated egg on top!

horizons_, Mar 7, 7:57pm
Slice your lettuce and put in bowl. Add diced onions, capsicum, sliced celery, cucmber, tomatoes in layers. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top then add your sliced hard boiled eggs.

cuteviolet, Mar 7, 8:01pm
Or toss all the above together (grated carrot too) and top with sliced hard boiled eggs.

faerieglen, Mar 7, 8:04pm
my mother used to make a nice salad by putting thinly sliced lettuce in bowl, then nicely arrange slices of tomatoes and egg like a flower on top of that, then another layer of lettuce, followed by a another nice arrangement of the tomato and egg slices, with perhaps a bit of grated cheese or grated in center to give the effect of flower center,there may have been some thinly chopped spring onion in with the lettuce as well.Very simple, but looked most decorative on the dinner table, was in a bowl shaped like lettuce leaves which i now have. You had a special egg slicer with fine wires to slice the egg
That may help you, that was very much 50's and 60's way of making a salad

jessie981, Mar 7, 8:13pm
This, accompanied with Condensed Milk Mayo

fifie, Mar 7, 8:13pm
Have you lettuce washed and in the fridge so its nice and crisp. Slice lettuce leaves thin into a bowl, thinly slice tomatoes and hard boiled eggs and sit on top to decorate as you desire. Serve with your home made oldfashioned salad dressing and slices of beetroot.

faerieglen, Mar 7, 8:40pm
Yes that is the one.actually still prefer that dressing to any other

kaddiew, Mar 7, 8:56pm
That's the one.I have a family member who still does it this way, and I'd happily eat it. :)

rarogal, Mar 7, 10:01pm
My girlfriends (we're in our 60s) do some fun things together! One year we had a '70s wedding reception. Those that had their wedding gowns brought or wore them, along with albums, photos etc. some still had unopened gifts (that created a laugh or two). But the best part was the food and what we had at weddings back then, and this old fashioned lettuce salad thread brought this day to mind. I don't recall having capsicums back then, but everything else, yes!

kaddiew, Mar 7, 10:06pm
I agree - no capsicums in sight back then, at least in our house. That salad brings back summer childhood memories, along with mum's bottled beetroot, and mint sauce in a large cut cystal jug - reserved only for Xmas Day. :)

biggles45, Mar 7, 10:10pm
We still have "old fashioned" salad quite regularly, we add thinly sliced cucumber too.when I was doing domestic science (yeah, I'm that old!) we were told to slice the cucumber thin enough that you could see the knife through the slice! These days I do cheer it up a bit with capsicum, thinly sliced red onion etc though.

gerry64, Mar 7, 10:13pm
there is a fantastic recipe - called seven layer lettuce salad - it is great can be made way ahead and stays fresh - looks stunning especially in a glass bowl
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/08/layered-salad/

jaybee6, Mar 8, 9:26pm
Hey I am not old but still do that salad all the time. It is by far the best. and so is the mayo from cond. milk.

rozke, Mar 9, 12:49am
with the 2 top posts l had finely chopped mint and parley to give it a nice fresh taste and some chives if l have some availableCheers

tania58, Mar 9, 1:49am
ahh brings back memories of my mother's salad! same as most - sliced up lettuce, grated carrot, grated cheese and sliced tomato & sliced boiled eggs on top, and of course home made condensed dressing. Don't think I'd ever seen a capsicum back in the 70s!

she also did a separate dish of sliced red onion & cucumber in malt vinegar with our old fashioned salad

horizons_, Mar 9, 6:16am
Still do the cucumber and onion in vinegar, but add balsamic to it these days.

tahnasha, Mar 9, 6:18am
I still do it this way

lemming2, Mar 9, 6:40am
If you wanted to get exotic back then, - definitely NO capsicum! - you added something like sliced dried dates. Not fresh, we didn't have fresh dates in NZ in the 50's. It did add something, and I still like it, only now I use fresh. AND capsicum! And definitely condensed milk dressing. Which I still prefer over all others . he tastes of one's childhood form one's tastes for life, I think.

dwyn5, Mar 9, 7:28am
Cutting the lettuce makes it brown a bit if there are any leftovers for the next day.I think that is why people started tearing up the leaves instead.
I do enjoy a cut salad though, much easier to eat - and of course, it had to be the condensed milk dressing.I still make it these days.

kaddiew, Mar 9, 8:13am
A little OT.but speaking of capsicums, am I the only one who can't stand them! The smell I can tolerate, but the taste -and even worse, the texture -actually makes me gag.

eastie3, Mar 9, 9:00am
Place fresh mint between the iceberg lettuce,roll up and slice finely. I can't stand grated cheese in a salad.

elliehen, Mar 9, 9:14am
The mint is a good idea.I agree about the cheese.it goes wimpy and watery.

gerry64, Mar 9, 11:06am
for some reason that american seven layer salad stays fresh and doesnt go watery even over night - caterers in the USA use it a lot

wheelz, Mar 9, 10:14pm
I use a plastic serrated knife for lettuce. Never goes brown. Available at Countdown.

dwyn5, Mar 10, 9:53am
Wow!thanks for that tip Wheelz.Would not have thought of that, must get one.