Cheese sauce curdled

cottagerose, Mar 12, 3:32am
Occassionaly my cheese sauce curdles and Im about to make cauliflower and whit sauce tonight and hoping this doesnt happen. Why is this!

whitehead., Mar 12, 3:35am
cold water in your sink put pot in and beat till your arm hurts . add a bit of flour one table spoon to your cheese and beat like hell good luck . i always make a rue and that has butter and flour in it along with milk

lilyfield, Mar 12, 3:35am
do not boil the cheese, add at last minute and stir until desolved

04redsox, Mar 12, 3:36am
I find letting the white sauce cool a little before stirring in the cheese works. good luck!

Someone else just said similar :-)

lurtz, Mar 12, 3:50am
This is good advice. When you've combined the milk with the butter and flour roux, keep whisking until the mixture reaches a good simmer. Then remove from the heat. If it's become too hot let the mixturecool a little; not too long or the cheese won't melt. But definitely remove it from the heat before stirring in the cheese.

To rescue a curdled sauce, Hudson and Halls used to recommend whisking an ice cube into it. I've done this from time to time and it works.

cottagerose, Mar 12, 6:21am
Thankyou for the ice cube tip, lurtz.
I made my sauce tonight and as adviced by a few of you I let it cool down a little before adding the cheese and wala. Perfect! Thankyou all