1/2 c treacle (or golden syrup)
1.2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c sour milk (or yoghurt)
2 c flour
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c raisins (optional)

Cream butter and sugar, beat in egg, then treacle and mix well.
Beat soda into sour milk and add.
Stir in flour, ground ginger, baking powder, lastly add raisins.
Spread into a well greased floured shallow tin.
Bake 35 mins, (180C) oven not too hot.
Moist, light and fruity – sour milk keeps cake moist without heaviness.

pogram0, Mar 11, 7:34am
Wasn't aware of yoghurt being available back in the 1940s or 1950s.Back then if you used sour milk would that be milk that has gone off or would you have had to sour it by adding something acidic to it.

lurtz, Mar 11, 7:45am
This brought back memories of my late and lovely mum's moist gingerbread. Thank you.

lurtz, Mar 11, 7:49am
Possibly theOP was suggesting that these days, yoghurt could be substituted for sour milk.

flower-child01, Mar 12, 2:49am
Yes, my adaptions are in brackets. To sour milk one also can just add either vinegar or lemon juice to milk. Google will advise as to the ratio.

cw_jc, Mar 12, 8:54am
Yum would you ice this!

lurtz, Mar 12, 9:13am
Good question. If the recipe is similar to the one my mother made, then the top of the gingerbread is just a little moist and sticky, and doesn't need icing.

However, I am sure that flower-child01 will tell you the consistency of the finished Gingerbread, and whether or not icing is needed.

flower-child01, Mar 12, 6:51pm
Lurtz is right, it is sticky on top. Some suggest to serve with whipped cream. Oh heavenly.

donnabeth, Mar 16, 8:59pm
I needed this yesterday when I had to throw out nearly 2L of milk 4 days before its expiry date. I tried making a cottage cheese with it, but only got a few tablespoons.
Pogram0, yoghurt was definitely around in the '50s. My mother used to make it. She had curds that looked like cauliflower which she strained through a muslin cloth.We came home from school and she would take the warm yoghurt from the hot water cupboard, add sugar and pour us a glass. It bore no resemblance to the flavour or texture of the yoghurt that later came out in pottles.

daleaway, Mar 16, 11:59pm
You could buy yoghurt in the 1950s but it was natural and not flavoured. The flavoured ones turned up in the 1960s.
As for sour milk, you could use naturally sour milk, or sour it yourself with lemon juice or vinegar. Scones were always made with sour milk.