Passionfruit - ideas

Page 1 / 2
pickles7, Mar 4, 6:10pm
mine are ready now, I am freezing them in there skins this year.

lythande1, Mar 4, 6:49pm
I just scooped it out and froze it in containers.

wheelz, Mar 4, 8:30pm
Edmonds cookbook has a recipe for preserving passion fruit. I do it every time I have enough to bottle.

wheelz, Mar 4, 8:32pm
Bring to boil. 1 cup pulp with 1/2 to 3/4 c sugar. Pour into sterilised jar and lid. Cool and pop in fridge. Easy as.
I use the lower amount of sugar because I like mine to retain that 'tang'.

wheelz, Mar 4, 8:34pm
I have a recipe for passion fruit butter biscuits, which are divine if you would like it!.
Hmm this is an old thread from last feb!

justme27, Mar 4, 10:01pm
Yes please wheelz if you don't mind - I lovvvve passionfruit and am keeping an eye out around Tauranga for anyone selling their surplus .

mercartin, Mar 4, 11:26pm
I'd love it too please! Butter biscuits - yummm

pickles7, Mar 5, 12:30am
Is the season for passion fruit, worth a revival.

pickles7, Mar 5, 12:31am
Here is the recipe I love. Can make plain, or flavored with passionfruit or lemon or orange rind. Makes 40.
250g softened butter 220g icing sugar. 300g plain flour. 75g cornflour. 50g rice flour. 2 tbsp passion fruit pulp or citrus rind.
Combine butter, icing sugar and flours in food processor, process 2 mins or till combined. Add passionfruit and process till mixture clings together. Knead on lightly floured board till smooth. Cut mix in half and roll each into a 25cm log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Cut into 1 cm slices , place on greased oven gays . Bake 170'c 20 mins till pale in color. Cool on rack.

wheelz (159 )9:50 am, Thu 29 Nov #5

pickles7, Mar 5, 12:39am
$56.00 a kilo here in Hastings, right now you are paying for the skins. They are not crinkly yet.

valentino, Mar 5, 2:51am
Hmmm, starting to appear at some fruit stores and supermarkets about $12 to $20 a kilo. Still expensive though.

Did have a couple of nice vines growing a few years ago, mainly because of that aerial spraying in West Auckland,hmmm definately need to replant a couple sometime in the near future. Simply love them.

Cheers

elliehen, Mar 5, 3:00am
If you're not lucky enough to have black passionfruit growing, 'Tasti' brand makes a really good passionfruit syrup in a small jar which is almost as good as the real fruit.It's on the top shelf of most baking aisles.costs under $3.00.

lynken37, Mar 5, 3:54am
I made passionfruit terrine on the weekend, very scrummy. Probably very fattening too!

wheelz, Mar 5, 6:20am
Thanks Pickles, have been out all day, don'tlet the rice flour put you off making these, it makes for a nice light crisp biscuit. So good, I experimentedwith different flavours with the basic recipe.

pickles7, Mar 5, 6:25am
The recipe looks nice, others may find it in here if they have passion fruits needing to be used. Our vine had about 20 on it this year. Its only two years old so next year I guess it will be loaded.

sathan81, Mar 5, 6:29am
i made passionfruit curd last year and wow yummmy

pickles7, Mar 5, 6:58am
How did you make the curd.sathan81

elliehen, Mar 5, 9:41am
I'm sure sathan81 will come back with an answer, but I just add passionfruit to my usual lemon curd recipe.

moore., Mar 6, 2:23am
how do you make passionfruit pulp that can be stored in the fridge, and Id like to know what else can be done with it , thanks.

indy95, Mar 6, 2:43am
Moore, if you type "passionfruit" in the search box and choose last year as the date option you will find a number of threads full of good ideas for using them.

pickles7, Mar 12, 11:42pm
wow ! I have just been given well over 100 passion fruit. Only so much you can deal with, I will preserve it and give it back. May also look in you tube for ideas.

davidt4, Mar 13, 12:55am
Passionfruit possets are a lovely thing:

Passionfruit Possets (Nigel Slater)

approx. 16 passionfruit
500 ml cream
150g palm sugar (or caster sugar)
35 ml lemon juice

serves 4 - 6

Sieve passionfruit juice and push through as much pulp as possible.Reserve seeds.

Heat cream and sugar in small pan and bring to the boil.Reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes, stirring.

Meanwhile put the lemon juice in a measuring jug and add enough passionfruit juice to make the quantity up to 75 ml.Reserve rest of juice.

Remove cream from heat, add juice mixture and stir.Add a few seeds.Pour into 4- 6 small ramekins or cups.Cool and refrigerate at least 4 hours to set.

Before serving spoon a little puddle of reserved juice on top.

davidt4, Mar 13, 12:58am
Passionfruit Curd

60g butter
130g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
130 ml passionfruit pulp

In a small heavy bottomed saucepan melt the butter over very low heat.Meanwhile beat the eggs and sugar together until well combined but not foamy, add passionfruit pulp and mix.Pour into pan and stir well, raise heat to medium and stir constantly until the foam dissipates and it thickens. This will take about 5 minutes.Remove from heat and continue to stir for a minute, pour into containers.Cover when cold and keep in the fridge.

lythande1, Mar 13, 1:02am
Why add sugar! It's not necessary, just freeze as is.

elliehen, Mar 13, 2:09am
When I'm given a surplus I just scoop the pulp into ice cube containers and later transfer the blocks to a freezer bag.