Alison Holst recipe for special mac cheese

trah, Mar 12, 11:23pm
x1
which contains I think Worcester Sauce and/or mustard.I've looked in my big red book and the Family Favourites book but can't find it under Macaroni Cheese.It perhaps is called something else. anybody, please!

ellie04, Mar 12, 11:38pm
x2
245Sam posted this:

Alison Holst’s SUPER SPECIAL MACARONI CHEESE

250g macaroni
50g butter
¼ cup flour
3 cups milk
1 tbsp Dijon type mustard
1 tsp each of curry powder and salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp each of hot pepper sauce and grated nutmeg
2 cups grated tasty cheese

Topping:
1-2 tbsp butter
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
½ cup grated tasty cheese

Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water.As soon as the macaroni is tender, pour it into a large sieve or colander, rinse it briefly with cold water, and leave it to drain.
Make the sauce while the macaroni is cooking….Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and heat until it bubbles.Add the milk, a cup at a time, bringing to the boil and stirring constantly between additions.Stir in all the flavourings and the grated cheese and stir to combine, without reheating.Carefully stir the macaroni and sauce together, and turn into a well-buttered or sprayed 12 cup capacity shallow ovenware dish.
For the topping, melt the butter and remove from heat.Stir in the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the surface of the macaroni cheese.
Bake at180°Cfor30 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles and the top browns.

kaddiew, Mar 12, 11:40pm
x1
Credited to 245sam :)

Alison Holst’s SUPER SPECIAL MACARONI CHEESE
For 6-8 servings.
250g macaroni, or macaroni curls
50g butter
¼ cup flour
3 cups milk
1 tbsp Dijon type mustard
1 tsp each ofcurry powderandsalt
½ tsp each ofhot pepper sauceandgrated nutmeg
Topping:
1-2 tbsp butter
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs

Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water.As soon as the macaroni is tender, pour it into a large sieve or colander, rinse it briefly with cold water, and leave it to drain.
Make the sauce while the macaroni is cooking….Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and heat until it bubbles.Add the milk, a cup at a time, bringing to the boil and stirring constantly between additions.Stir in all the flavourings and the grated cheese and stir to combine, without reheating.Carefully stir the macaroni and sauce together, and turn into a well-buttered or sprayed 12 cup capacity shallow ovenware dish.
For the topping, melt the butter and remove from heat.Stir in the breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the surface of the macaroni cheese.
Bake at180°Cfor30 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles and the top browns.:-))

245sam, Mar 12, 11:42pm
Here you are trah.I think the recipe is actually in several of Alison’s books that I have, but the following version is from “Alison Holst The Ultimate Collection”….

Alison Holst’s SUPER-SPECIAL MACARONI CHEESE
For 4-6 servings:
300g (10½oz) macaroni or other pasta
2 tbsp each ofbutterandoil
1 tsp curry powder
¼ cup plain flour
3 cups (750ml) milk
1 tbsp Dijon or other mild mustard
1 tsp salt
½ tsp each oftabasco sauceandgrated nutmeg

Topping:
1-2 tbsp butter
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs

Turn the oven to 180°C (350°F).
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water until tender.Rinse with cold water and leave to drain in a sieve.
Heat the butter and oil in a pot, add the curry powder then the flour and heat until it bubbles.Add the milk, 1 cup at a time, bringing the sauce to the boil and stirring constantly between additions.Stir the
remaining ingredients in thoroughly without reheating.Carefully stir the macaroni and sauce together, and turn into a well-buttered or sprayed 12-cup (3 litre/96 fl oz) capacity ovenproof dish.
For the topping, melt the butter and remove from the heat.Stir in the breadcrumbs and grated cheese, and sprinkle over the surface of the macaroni cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until the sauce bubbles and the top browns.:-))

245sam, Mar 12, 11:43pm
oops, it seems that it was quicker to do a Google search rather than go to the book shelf as I did this time.Hope you enjoy the Macaroni Cheese trah.:-))

trah, Mar 13, 12:14am
LOL!Thank you all !

pickles7, Mar 13, 8:09pm
x1
microwave macaroni cheese.

2 cups of macaroni
3 cups hot water
1 teaspoons salt
100 grams of butter

1 and 1/2 cups of milk

300 grams of grated tasty cheese
1/4 cup of plain flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of dry mustard powder.

Microwave the water, butter, salt and macaroni for 12 minutes
without a lid, stir twice in the 12 minutes.
stand 5 minutes.
Add the milk,
mix together the rest of the ingredients, and stir in.
microwave a further 3 minutes, stir microwave further 3 minutes.
serve.

Add the extras to this recipe, I am sure it will be the same.