Pie Melon

lemming2, Mar 7, 10:06am
Does anyone in Auckland know where I can get one! I used to have a regular supplier, but they lost all their crop a few years ago, and hence all their seed supply. They ought to be ripe about now. I did buy one on TM a couple of years ago, but she was selling on behalf of her Granddad whose plants had gone crazy, os that was a one-off.
I miss my piemelon jam!

roken, Mar 7, 10:49pm
Can you help me I have never made Pie melon jam before. I have been given a huge pie melon. Found a recipe that said peel and dice. Then later said boil until rind is soft. Do you leave rind in when bottling.cheers roken

cgvl, Mar 8, 12:55am
peel it, remove the seeds and dice, Mine has finely sliced lemon or orange in it (like marmalade thin) and preserved ginger. Its really nice.

maximus44, Mar 8, 5:59am
Melon and ginger jam is beautiful.

roken, Mar 8, 6:50am
Thanks cgvlyes got the crystalised ginger. so in the morning will follow what you saidyou have said,. but do you need to soak it overnight using Aunt Daisy recipe. cheers roken

cgvl, Mar 8, 8:50am
here's the recipe I used recently. jam is a little too sweet for my liking though.Makes heaps and weigh melon and adjust ingredients to suit.
10lb melon skinned, deseeded and diced.
l larger Lemons or oranges thinly sliced
10lb sugar 9I would use about 8lb next time)

Cover lemons/oranges with boiling water and leave to stand overnight.
Cover the melon with 2-3lb sugar and leave to stand overnight also.
Next day combine and bring to boil, boil quickly for 30mins.
Add rest of sugar and ginger, bring back to boil and keep at a rolling simmer/boil until a little tested sets. Use a jam thermometer it makes it easier.

lemming2, Mar 8, 8:13pm
In the meantime, Help! Where can I get one for MY jam!!
Incidentally, one year I got impatient with hoicking the seeds out: the jam was a brownish colour, but the seeds were really soft and completely unnoticeable when eaten.

roken, Mar 8, 9:55pm
I could send you some seeds out of the one I have got if it would help cheers roken.
Quote cgvl Thank you for recipe not to keen on very sweet jams so will add a bit more lemon which have gone mad this year.,

lemming2, Mar 9, 6:43am
Yes, Pie melon jam is a sweet one. And ginger is essential. It adds the requisite zing. Thanks roken, seeds are a problem as I live in a townhouse with a tiny garden: but I'm willing to give anything a try!

lemming2, Mar 12, 7:52pm
Still, Help! Anyone out there!

arabelle, Mar 12, 8:58pm
I have some growing and some from last year, and seeds also but not sure how to transport it to you.

lemming2, Mar 14, 5:41am
Where in NZ are you! I'm in West Auckland - if you are too far away for me to collect a melon, I can arrange with a relation for sees to take over a corner of her paddock next year ;-)

lemming2, Mar 14, 5:42am
Sorry, that is, of course, meant to be "seeds", I got a bit too excited!

lemming2, Mar 22, 10:41am
Help! Anybody!