15 min cooking demo for 7-12 years olds - ideas?

martine5, Mar 14, 3:12am
Hi,
Our community library has a book club and coming up is one relating to food.I have been asked to do a short demo for the children and would like something really cool to show them or get them involved with, we don't have a lot of time, or space or huge amounts of money to spend.Any suggestions folks!

rainrain1, Mar 14, 3:29am
bluff oyster omelette

sunnysue1, Mar 14, 3:47am
Easter is close.something relating to that!

punkinthefirst, Mar 14, 4:50am
Burgers, pasta.things you can make, they can taste, then take home the recipe and make for themselves at home.

valentino, Mar 14, 5:03am
Pancakes is the best way to go.

Hmmm, An Electric frypan is the only cooking appliance required.

Keep it very simple and basic.

Toppings can be anything but with children suggest to do a sweet one like whipped cream but still slighly runny and only a good size dob with a fruit syrup squirted through or over, or bananas sliced in etc .

unknowndisorder, Mar 14, 6:15am
You could do what they do on TV, mix ingredients to a point, have the next stage ready, and then the finished product, so that you're not limited to something edible in 15 minutes.

One thing that fascinated me at around that age (yeah, I do remember that long ago), was hokey pokey, with the consistency changing when you add the soda.

Good luck and hope you and they have fun :)

elliehen, Mar 14, 7:15am
Great idea for 15 minutes and it's hands-on for everyone, with a unique product at the end :)

valentino, Mar 14, 7:51am
It reminded me of the days when MacDonalds were just starting to establish themselves and had these gimicky times like one of them was a Pancake Birthday Party or breakfasts, costed nothing or next to nothing but you had to do them yourselves and the batter was supplied along with some maple syrup and one or two other items, gosh it was simply FUN!, messy but FUN! Great time though and was thoroughly enjoyed. It was so simple.

Cheers

lucky1989, Mar 14, 8:51am
omlettes i think is a good idea and shows a few techniques such as cracking eggs, whisking etc and can be adapted to all tastes and something they CAN do at home after, simple ingredients

wraps (fry chicken or whatever in plug in pan) and shows them the chooping of veges dunno if thats boring or a skill!

simple mince mixture, then can be told about diff uses, eg into chilli con carne, on pasta, wraps, pie filling etccccccc

smoothie with berries grains etc, something they can then make at home themselves for brekky so its practical.

ummm god i really wana keep coming up with ideas but i think thats my problem lol.

duckmoon, Mar 14, 9:48am
Pikelets

lyl_guy, Mar 14, 11:24am
I think Omelettes are a great idea. after all, a lot of other things like herbs, tomatoes etc can be added, and they're a 'meal' that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner.It's a good, basic skill for the children to learn, IMO.

asue, Mar 16, 3:29am
Icing and decorating brought cup cakes! A bit simple but still quick and easy and fun, colours, sprinkles, technique etc

lyingnun, Mar 16, 3:51am
Homemade burgers are easy and delicious and easily made to order to suit everyones taste.

sarahb5, Mar 16, 3:52am
Smoothies - something quick and easy that they can make themselves

lurtz, Mar 16, 4:12am
15 minutes isn't long enough to to demonstrate as well as giving the children some hands on experience with many of the great ideas others have suggested.So I'd go with Smoothies too.

rarogal, Mar 16, 7:13am
What about pikelets, they're quick and easy. My grandies used to come for breakfast every Saturday morning for pancakes sprinkled with lemon juice and sugar, that would be easy enough also.

pickles7, Mar 16, 8:00am
With you , not enough time to cook anything. A bit of time will be spent just settling the children, a wee chat as to what you are going to do, a few questions and its all ova. Smoothies are a great idea.
Guacamole be nice too, put a little bit in a little plastic cup each, a large bowl of crackers and your done. The age of the children is ok to introduce something special. Don't forget if the children are going to touch the food they will be required to wash there hands. Basic hygiene lesson there in its self.

chrisynz, Mar 16, 9:00am
Lemonade scones - easy and simple

unknowndisorder, Mar 30, 7:01am
Has this been done! How did it go, or when is it!