Pickled Eggs

gerry64, Feb 11, 10:10pm
I had a recipe from a previous thread for pickled eggs - it was someones mums recipe - slightly asian -sichuan pepper was one ingredient - can anyone help please - I made them and was going to make them again but cant find the recipe using the search

davidt4, Feb 11, 10:37pm
Was it Uli's Chinese Marbled Tea Eggs!I copied the recipe so here it is:

Chinese Marbled Tea Eggs

6 eggs
3/4 cup soy sauce
2 star anise
2 tablespoons black tea (or 2 tea bags)
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorn (optional)
2 strips dried tangerine or mandarin orange peel (optional)
Directions:
Gently place the eggs in a medium pot and fill with water to cover the eggs by 1-inch. Bring the pot to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for 3 minutes. Remove the eggs (leaving the water in the pot) and let cool under running cool water.
Using the back of the teaspoon, gently tap the eggshell to crack the shell all over. The more you tap, the more intricate the design. Do this with a delicate hand to keep the shell intact.
To the same pot with the boiling water, return the eggs and add in the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately turn the heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes, cover with lid and let eggs steep for a few hours to overnight.

gerry64, Feb 11, 11:19pm
No that isn't it uli it was on the same thread as this one I am sure

mwood, Feb 11, 11:34pm
Here is an on line reference plus I have 2 of my own which I will post later.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pickled_eggs/

gerry64, Feb 11, 11:43pm
cheers mwood - it was a very simple recipe that was the posters mothers favourite - becoming obsessed- just as well I have unlimited broadband as I search the net

mwood, Feb 11, 11:44pm
Here are the two I have made -the Sweet Pickled Eggs is my goto.

1. Sweet pickled Eggs :

12 -18 eggs
1 large onion, sliced into rings
2 cups white wine vinegar
2 cups water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pickling spice

Directions

Cover eggs with water in a large pot. Cover with lid. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil gently for 10 minutes. Drain. Run cold water over eggs until they are cold. Shell eggs.
Prepare the brine in a sauce pan by combining the vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
Layer the eggs (whole) and onion rings in a sterilized 2litre jar to within 1 inch of the top.
Add pickling spice to brine and bring to boil - let the brine cool then pour brine over eggs to fill jar with 1/4 inch from top.Store in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks before serving. Serve chilled.

tip - to center the yokes stand the eggs in the cartoon vertically on its edge in the fridge for a few days before boiling.

2: PICKLEDEGGS

Ingredients :
2 c. white vinegar
2 tbsp. mild mustard
1/2 c. water
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. celery seed
1 tbsp. mustard seed
6 whole cloves
12 eggs, hard-boiled and shelled
2 onions

Preparation :
Slowly blend white vinegar and mustard.Add water, sugar, salt,
celery seed, mustard seed and cloves.Simmer 10 minutes.Cool.
Pour over eggs and onions.Cover and refrigerate overnight.

gerry64, Feb 11, 11:59pm
cheers mwood - if I cant find the other one will definitely give yours a go

mwood, Feb 12, 2:58am
Yes the No1. Sweet Pickled Eggs :is the easiest to do in stages, boil pickle mix first,then boil the eggs, cool and peel, cut the onions then everything is ready to go straight into the jar and then the fridge. I have my own hens so often just top up the jar with surplus eggs. When you have too many they also make nice gifts LOL

samanya, Feb 12, 4:26am
I've pickled a few eggs again this year (did it a long time ago & wasn't overly impressed) & have to say they are a bit 'rubbery' again .is that normal!
They taste fine

gerry64, Feb 12, 4:42am
The recipe I tried were really yummy very peppery definitely an Asian twist

mwood, Feb 12, 6:11am
could have been a Rubber Duck - try Hen eggs.

samanya, Feb 12, 6:36am
ha ha ha!
You come here & try telling my hens that they might be rubber duckies!

mwood, Feb 12, 6:42am
seriously they need to be a bit rubbery - if you over cook them they will be dry, hard and crumbly - I have my own hens but sometimes buy the supermarket special of those 9 free range pieces for $3 - two of those give 18 small eggs - ideal for pickling snacks

samanya, Feb 12, 6:53am
Mine are OK . they taste fine but I don't know if I'll bother again, I'd far rather have a freshboiled egg as anaccompaniment to a meal/snack & serve up other pickles when the need arises.