Baked Beans with Pinto beans - help please.

mazzy1, Feb 12, 5:29am
I have what has turned out to be a giant bowl of soaked pinto beans ( 12 hours or so) and I was planning to turn them into some sort of sexy home-made baked beans recipe with manuka smoke and all sorts of good stuff for dinner. I thought, naively that they were ready to just assemble once they had been soaked, but I've just bitten into one - not good. What on earth do I do with them now! Would appreciate some advice from Pinto fans please! Thee are a wealth of recipes for every bean imaginable but I don't have the time to trawl, sadly!

davidt4, Feb 12, 6:16am
Drain, cover with fresh water (no salt), bring to a hard boil then simmer for about an hour or longer until almost tender.Then add your sauce ingredients, including salt, and simmer until completely tender.

mazzy1, Feb 12, 6:20am
Thanks for that davidt. You are a champion! And it doesn't matter that they have sort of skins on them!

floralsun, Feb 12, 8:28am
Davidt4 - drain cooking liquid before adding sauce ingredients!

Skins are fine mazzy1

davidt4, Feb 12, 8:58am
Yes, drain cooking water.And yes, I think skins are fine.

punkinthefirst, Feb 13, 11:48pm
Skins are fine. Cook them until you can squish one between your tongue and the roof of your mouth. Drain, add the sauce and etceteras and bake slowly until you are ready for them.
Home made baked beans.YUM!

pickles7, Feb 14, 12:31am
Baked beans

500 grams of navy beans, soaked over night in water
lightly fry;
4 rashers of bacon chopped
2 large onions chopped
add;
2 cans of tomatoes
1/3 cup of molasses
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper