Rhubarb Help!

supanan4, Feb 8, 10:44pm
I have been given some home grown rhubard but the stalks are very green, are they ok to cook or are the not ripe, I want to make a crumble!
I am sure we use to cook it red or green just chop off the tops, in fact Mum use to put a red colouring in it possibly because it was green, Can you help please I love it.

lilyfield, Feb 8, 10:47pm
Its just a different variety, happy eating, and there is no need to use artificial colouring

thedevil1, Feb 8, 10:54pm
have you tried growing it in the dark in a shed! i saw something on uk tv a while ago. lady grew her rhubarb in compost off the ground inside a dark barn. like mushroom style

harrislucinda, Feb 9, 12:46am
noneedtocolourasitisthetypeitisThinkyouwillfindsweeterthanthered

bcnd, Feb 9, 3:13am
I make my rubarb then tip all the water out and pour in a packet of raspberry jelly. It makes it red, sweetens & thickens it all at once

-nana-, Feb 9, 3:44am
Try using sugar substitute for sweetening.It seems to stop the 'furry' feeling a lot of people experience.

nauru, Feb 9, 6:46am
I cook up my rhubarb in the MW, just a drop of water.When it's cooked and while it's hot, I add frozen raspberries and sweeten to taste.Great combination for pies or crumbles and lovely with Greek yoghurt for brekky.

slimgym, Feb 9, 8:15am
i add an apple that makes it sweet enought for me

mumstu, Feb 11, 6:11am
I'm with bcnd.My mum always put a jelly in after cooking the rhubarb and then made it into crumble.yum

guest, Apr 2, 9:17am
Amazing yet again! I have to find the time to do these instead of just drinloog all the time. One favour to ask, can you do a caramel tart video? My friend makes great ones so i want to surprise them with it on day when they're over!

guest, Apr 6, 6:20am
EOlYjS xmonshbnkprg