Home Made Bread Recipes

hoffy10, Apr 26, 4:55am
Any Recipes would be great. Thanks

carriebradshaw, Apr 26, 7:11am
The only bread recipe I have is my mam's Irish soda bread that I make when I'm homesick. Let me know if you want it.

jubli, Apr 26, 7:16am
yes please post it - I would love to try it
Thanks

carriebradshaw, Apr 26, 7:49am
Irish soda bread

450g wholemeal flour
175g plain flour
1 rounded teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
buttermilk-about 450ml

Preheat oven to 200c. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir in the buttermilk to make a soft dough.
Put on a board dusted with w/meal flour and knead lightly until its smooth underneath.
Form the dough into a circle about 1 1/2 inches thick. Mark the top of the dough with a deep cross. Bake for about 40 mins, until it sounds hollow on the bottom.

Tip-when the bread is cool, wrap it in a tea towel. It's the best way to keep it. Hope you like it. It is quite a heavy bread, perfect with hearty winter soups or gorgeous with smoked salmon.

cookessentials, Apr 26, 7:52am
I used to do a great bread in terracotta pots - I still have the pots packed away, my husband found them the other day and then popped them away again, but they came with a great wee recipe. I would have to find them for you and then post.

korbo, Apr 26, 9:15am
cookes... are they the pots from a lady who makes them in Havelock North. ? ? ? i have some of hers, plus other cooking pots she makes. had them for nearly 30 yers and still going well.

cookessentials, Apr 26, 10:52am
Oh, I dont know, but was given them as a set of two back in 1983 as a 1st wedding anniversary present from Mum & Dad- they came in a pair in a hesian sack.

beaker59, Apr 26, 11:20am
Buzzy had some good bread tips but she's banned now isn't she?

hoffy10, Apr 26, 6:30pm
Thank you for your recipe carriebradshaw.

glenj, Apr 26, 8:50pm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=6

hoffy10, Apr 26, 10:16pm
glenj thank You so much for this Thread above very Helpful.

elliehen, Apr 26, 10:24pm
carriebradshaw, thanks for this - I love a quick soda bread. Thanks to everyone who posts any kind of home bread-making recipe with encouragement to eat and enjoy :)

elliehen, Apr 27, 12:11am
Bumped for hoffy10 and beaker 59 - one of the many diverse bread threads in Recipes.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=131&p=23

greerg, Mar 11, 6:06am
Re post 9 - I have used these recipes of Julie's and find them really good.