Wanting Gluten Free with Type 1 diabetes suggestio

bagpipes, Feb 10, 8:38am
ns for a 10 year old child please.If anyone has some good websites or recipes they could share.Thanks

amiri1, Feb 10, 10:17am
Flourless Orange Cake

2 large oranges
6 eggs
sugar substitute equal to about 3/4-1 cup sugar
250g ground almonds
1/4 teaspoon salt

Place the oranges in a large saucepan and cover them with water. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat to medium and simmer them for an hour, topping up the water as necessary. Cool.

Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Grease a round 23cm springform cake tin and line the bottom with baking paper.

Whisk the eggs with the caster sugar until light and foamy.

Quarter the oranges and chop them to a coarse pulp in a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process again until mixed.

Pour into cake tin and bake at 190C for an hour or until cooked and a skewer emerges clean.

Let the cake stand for 10 minutes then turn out of the pan.

This is very nice with whipped cream mixed with some plain yoghurt and finely grated orange or lemon rind.

I think this was on stuff.co.nz (but with sugar).

nahmi, Feb 10, 6:51pm
amiri1 - this sounds nice.
What sugar substitute did you use for this recipe , and what quantity !
I'd like to give more sugar substitute recipes a go but it's such a waste of eggs and almond flour when you get the sweetener content wrong.:(

bagpipes, Feb 10, 9:30pm
Thank you amiri1 - if anyone else has recipes to share, or no where I can find some gluten free and less sugar or an alternative sugar substance, that would be lovely.

amiri1, Feb 11, 4:09am
I have used erythritol, xylitol, stevia and natvia or purevia! I get them mixed up and don't have any right now to check what it's called, sorry. I think most would work as long as they can handle heat. Just work out how much to make a cup of sugars sweetness. If using stevia I suggest mixing it with some erythritol to help balance the sweetness. I use whatever I have on hand but prefer either xylitol or a mixture of stevia and another sweetener.

I only put in about 1/3-1/2 C of xylitol when I make it. And a cream cheese icing with orange zest is very nice if wanting to make it a little more "flashed" up. Cream cheese softened, orange zest, touch of sweetner of choice and cream. Mix until the right consistancy.