No 'ordinary' sugar in the house and I would

survivorr, Feb 9, 8:39am
.like to do some baking to take to work on Monday.I've got plenty of caster sugar though.Need some ideas, please. :o)

auntlb, Feb 9, 8:44am
Just use the castor sugar in your usual recipes

survivorr, Feb 9, 8:44am
I know it's a lot finer than 'ordinary' sugar but could I just use it instead!

lilyfield, Feb 9, 8:45am
castor sugar is sugar. same use

survivorr, Feb 9, 8:54am
Thx:o)

cookessentials, Feb 9, 8:55am
I use caster sugar in just aboout all my baking and I never have any problems

survivorr, Feb 9, 9:04am
Well I'll be doing exactly that tomorrow then.:o)

sarahb5, Feb 9, 10:21am
Me too but my daughter did the shopping this week for me and got white sugar instead - hopefully it won't adversely affect the brownies for the lunch boxes.

toadfish, Feb 9, 5:56pm
From Google.
I cup regular white sugar = 200gms
1 cup Caster Sugar = 225gms

Its because the granules are smaller and there are less gaps between them.So when using caster sugar if you are not weighing it (ie using cup measurements) just use slightly less. If it asks for a cup sugar and you use caster just take out about 3 Tablepoons.

gardie, Feb 9, 7:59pm
A good tip - I've never thought about it before and just replaced cup for cup.(Results always good, thankfully).

auntlb, Feb 9, 8:26pm
You can zap your white sugar in your blender (if you have one) to make the crystals smaller - castor sugar is just smaller granules

lilyfield, Feb 9, 8:48pm
and you cam also cut outone third of the sugar on most recepis.
much betterfor the waist line

except for meringue and pav

sarahb5, Feb 9, 9:58pm
I don't have a blender and even if I did I don't think I could be bothered to be honest - it's only a small bag, will barely last a week with all the baking being done at the moment.

sarahb5, Feb 9, 10:00pm
My Edmonds cook book disagrees with Google - 1 cup of white sugar according to Edmonds is 250g and that's the weight I use rather than cups because I use add and weigh scales instead of cup measures.I have always cooked by weight rather than volume because that's what I grew up with.