meat balls maybe with some dips
mini pizzas
celery sticks filled with peanut butter
scotch eggs
some sort of muffins or cupcakes for the "sweet tooth brigade"
chicken drumsticks for the "meaty people"
homemade lemonade with lots of ice cubes floating around
small fish cakes with small bread rolls and salsa
(which can also double as hamburger buns for the meatballs)
lots of ketchup (or tomato sauce), mayo etc to assemble to their liking.

justme..., Feb 7, 6:04am
dont forget the drinks, make lots of fruit punch - it usually hits the spot! And boy do they need it in this heat. Oh, and for a really pleasant suprise please consider NOT sending all the guests home with "treats" of artificial everything and extra sugar, some parents really don't appreciate this!

debudder, Feb 7, 7:42am
Opps sorry just me.I am the grand mother and sweets are a must, have a pinata which I feel ripped off with, who knew they cost so much and didn't have things in them already. Pick me I didn't, I was wrapped thinking oh that really isn't too bad of a cost and then the grand daughter burst the bubble by asking where were the lollies for it Say What!

vintagekitty, Feb 7, 8:03am
These are the most popular
Fairy bread
mini hotdogs
chicken nuggets
cherrios and tomato sauce
brightly coloured cupcakes
lollies
chips and dip

and cake!, jelly and icecream

vintagekitty, Feb 7, 8:22am
I don't know many 10 year olds that would enjoy scotch eggs or fishcakes as party food

patsy3, Feb 7, 9:21am
Well, I have a 10yo and the taste buds vary at that age. (I have fussy 10yo girl that likes oysters, cockles and pipis -will eat no other fish!) Have fun and do some unusual stuff for a laugh. But sorry vintagekitty 10year old's don't need to be fed 5yo party food.
Pizza
sushi, small amount of cut up veges and humous (sp!)
fruit kebabs / fruit platter always gets scoffed!
mini quiche / bread cases / chips / sausage rolls
nice fruit punch
Or make it 'sophisticated' and get rid of the yucky 'party food' and have entree, dinner. dessert. 10yo's are up for it. and to be honest, run them ragged enough and they will eat anything. (trust me I know)

nunesy, Feb 7, 10:00am
I know it's an afternoon tea but if because the weather's pretty warm you could do an icecream theme.You ball icecream previously (melon baller or mini icecream scoop depending on the size you want) and put trays of icecream balls in the freezer ready for the day.(Choc, vanilla, strawberry, or whatever you like).Then have a variety of sprinkles, toppings, etc and let them go for it themselves.Lots of fun, yum, nice on a hot day, and you can also include fresh fruit and things like nuts as well as the sugary sprinkles and lollies.You could also up the ante by taking photos of the creations or having a prize for prettiest/best looking icecream sundae etc. very easy to put together, and very visually impressive too.

vintagekitty, Feb 7, 6:38pm
I agree, altho I did write "most popular", and they are!

sarahb5, Feb 8, 5:38am
Add some pizza to that and they would still be the most popular foods at most teenage boys' parties as well .

But if it's just afternoon tea do they really need a meal or just snacks instead!Depends on the timing and how long they're there for I suppose.

sarahb5, Feb 8, 5:43am
It's a proven fact that it is not the sugar in party food that hypes kids up but the excitement of the party atmosphere - was a documentary on TV a couple of years ago.

lindar, Feb 8, 7:14pm
We did small bread rolls with homemade burger patties and they put together their own burgers. Easy.

gardie, Feb 9, 3:05am
I think I saw that - they had two groups - one with and one without sugar - not much difference in the outcome.And besides, kids only have their birthday once a year - making special treats is part and parcel.

sarahb5, Feb 9, 3:08am
Exactly - even the parents couldn't tell whether their own child had been part of the sugar or non-sugar group.I certainly don't remember my mum worrying about how much sugar we consumed at parties and we ran it off playing games anyway.

wendalls, Feb 10, 9:46am
Hope the party went well. i had some extremely fussy girls at my 11yr olds sleepover. would like to say the sugar thing for me is about their teeth and general calorie intake. Ok at the party. but take home is not neccessary. Its not once a year. Its every kids party and often every week at school. Lollipops for everything. you dont see many slim 11 yr olds these days. Girls anyway.

willyow, Feb 11, 9:09pm
Spotted some really cheap vynlekids party tablecloths at The Warehouse yesterday.