Help! Chilli concarne too hot.how to tone down

tramore, Feb 5, 10:26pm
I used a packet of chilli concarne to my mince but on tasting it, it is too hot for my guests tonight.How can I tone it down please"!

olwen, Feb 5, 10:29pm
Add a tin of kidney beans perhaps, or a tin of sweetcorn.

davidt4, Feb 5, 10:29pm
Are you going to serve it with the usual Tex-Mex accompaniments of cornbread, guacamole, sour cream, grated cheese, tomato and onion salad!Make plenty of these and encourage your guests to take lots.The guacamole and the sour cream in particular will balance out the heat.

mjhdeal, Feb 5, 10:35pm
I have heard that sugar helps neutralise chilli, but never tried it myself. I found this advice online:

"Capsaicin Oil (the WOW! that's HOT! chemical) found in hot peppers is alkaline in nature. Bearing this in mind I try to neutralize this alkalinity by using natural acids.

The freshly squeezed juice of half a Lemon or Lime, added to anything too hot or spicy will substantially reduce the heat in the dish. If I need to continue on my "toning down" adventure, a further teaspoon or two, of good quality wine vinegar and a couple of teaspoons of sugar can work wonders. "

tramore, Feb 5, 10:35pm
No, I plan to serve bread and butter and a salad.

mjhdeal, Feb 5, 10:37pm
Good luck!

tramore, Feb 5, 10:37pm
it already has baked beans( instead of kidney beans) so I'll add corn and see how that goes! . as well as some of the other ideas people are being so kind to give to me.

tramore, Feb 5, 10:38pm
Thanks, I'll do that too!

tramore, Feb 5, 10:45pm
Wow.the lemon juice made a difference.I added some sugar then and it is much more palatable.Thank you so much!

mjhdeal, Feb 5, 10:48pm
Yay :)

sarahb5, Feb 6, 1:21am
I always serve a side dish of sour cream or unsweetened natural yoghurt with my chilli - I like it hot but the kids don't like it as hot so they just add a dollop on top.

uli, Feb 6, 5:57am
Me too - but poster#1 will serve with bread and butter, so great that she could reduce the heat.

esther-anne, Feb 6, 9:05am
I always use the lemon or lime - never sugar - in too hot chilli and curry dishes.In fact just halve then quarter a lemon and drop the2 wedges in the pot/casserole whatever and remove before serving - of course lol!

Also adding a potato is supposed to reduce the heat and I have tried that when without lemons.It works but not as well as the citrus.

tramore, Feb 6, 6:36pm
Just so you know.it seemed hot later on when I tasted it again so I biffed the idea and did apricot chicken instead.Then, this morning, I skimmed off all the top of the fluid in the chilli concarne and tasted it after a stir.It seems a lot better.perhaps the chilli was always near the surface in the liquid.or something.Anyway, I will freeze it all now and bring it out another day!I am very grateful for all the help given. Thank you!