Help for ginger beer, make today, drink tomorrow,

Page 1 / 2
electric1, Jan 27, 3:35am
with no bug !I had a recipe for this ginger beer, but lost it in the earthquake two years ago.It was good as I could make it while camping.

Can anyone help. Thanks.

pickles7, Jan 27, 4:19am

harrislucinda, Jan 27, 4:25am
putinginger beerinsearchlastyearandtherecipefor1bottlewillcomeupasjustchecked

elliehen, Jan 27, 4:44am
Looks like this one!

maximus44, Jan 27, 5:32am
My mother used to make "Rawleigh's" ginger beer which could be drunk instantly. I have the recipe somewhere but not sure where to look at the moment.

lindylambchops1, Jan 27, 8:08am
Ginger Beer.Easy & delicious!
I make a bottle almost everyday ( one in fridge & one in the making!) Here is my recipe for Ginger Beer in a bottle (plastic bottle) 1/4tsp baking yeast, 3 tsps ground ginger, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, 2 tablspns lemon juice, 1 cup white sugar (I decrease this amount to 1/3 cup). Put into 1.5ltr bottle fill nearly to top with warm water. Shake well to dissolve sugar. Leave 24 hours on bench. Refrigerate. Undo lid slowly to release gas before opening. We love it! Enjoy! Cheers!
Don't fill the bottles too high!

malcovy, Jan 27, 10:30pm
I will make a bottle right now :-) But just found out no lemons:(

malcovy, Jan 27, 11:14pm
Lemons now and two bottles made.Thanks.Looking forward to tasting it.

karenz, Jan 29, 3:07am
Is Edmonds active yeast (it has a yellow lid) the same as baking yeast, and does it have a shelf life, this has been in the fridge for quite a while.

niffer13, Feb 4, 7:35am
Bump Which yeast to use!

melford, Feb 4, 7:46am
Yes active yeast yellow lid Edmonds

nauru, Feb 4, 8:24am
Will instant yeast work too pls, similar to Mauripan brand!I have got a 500g pack in the fridge.

nauru, Feb 26, 10:22am
Lindy, I made your recipe for ginger beer using 1/3 cup sugar and instant yeast as that is what I had in the fridge besides my Surebake one.The bottle was really solid after 12 hours so I put it in the fridge.We didn't get around to opening it for a couple of days.It is really nice but I have found that it seems to taste a little sweeter every day, is this right!.Also how long does it keep, thanks!Thanks for sharing your recipe.

lindylambchops1, Feb 26, 10:19pm
Great to see you have made the ginger Beer.I still make it regularly.We love it too.We usually drink the whole bottle between 3 of us in one session so haven't noticed it getting sweeter.Maybe try reducing sugar even more!Let me know how you get on.Enjoy!

lindylambchops1, Feb 26, 10:21pm
BTW.I use the yeast that goes in my bread, but am sure any yeast would work.It is all about experimenting to suit your taste buds!

lindylambchops1, Feb 26, 10:22pm
Even though the bottle gets hard really quickly I still leave mine on the bench for at least a day, then put into the fridge.Gives the yeast a chance to do it's stuff!

nauru, Feb 27, 6:14am
Thanks for your replies, I will try reducing the sugar in the next batch and see how I go.The instant yeast seems to work OK and as I already had that in stock I thought I would use it instead of buying the granules.I use the surebake (red cap) for my bread.
I had visions of an exploding bottle all over the kitchen so that is why I popped it in the fridge early.I will carry on experimenting anyway and let you know

niffer13, Feb 27, 6:34am
A Gr8 brew. I made while away in motorhome. Worked well.

effcee1, Feb 28, 1:49am
Soda Stream machine, sugar free ginger beer, and drink it as soon as it is made, probably takes 2 minutes you wouldnt know the difference from the real thing.

vinee, Feb 28, 11:08pm
Thanks for the recipe. It was nicer than other ones I've made.
I tried it with 1/2c sugar (sweet tooth!) and it was nice and refreshing but I not sweet lolly water. I may even put a bit more in next time.I did 12 hours, too, it was a warm day.
and I put it in the shower! I thought if it goes bang it would be easier to clean up in there.

It tasted very 'beer-y' and I wondered what makes alcoholic beer! Is it a different yeast! or something else!

lindylambchops1, Mar 1, 1:49am
I made 3 bottles of my ginger beer this morning for the weekend!

indy95, Mar 2, 1:36am
Lindylambchops, your recipe makes a lovely drink, better than other "quick" recipes I've tried. The 1/3 cup of sugar is more than enough for me and I have a sweet tooth. Thank you for posting it.

lindylambchops1, Mar 2, 5:27am
I am sure you can reduce the sugar even more if you want.

nauru, Mar 2, 9:12am
I made some more today, reducing sugar to ¼ cup, also used fresh ginger juice instead of ground ginger.

nauru, Mar 5, 10:57am
Lindylambchops1, update on my last brew.It worked well with ¼ cup sugar and the ginger juice, not so sweet and more gingery taste, which I like. Almost gone now so new brew tomorrow.Thanks for sharing.