Icing Biscuits .

macb, Jan 16, 7:44am
I have purchased some tool (hammer, screwdriver etc) shaped cookie cutters for my sons birthday this weekend. I would like to pipe icing round the edges of the biscuits. Can someone please tell me what type of icing I need to make. Thanks

firemansgirl, Jan 16, 7:57am
Something like this that sets hard as per iced gingerbread men.

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/gingerbread-man-icing-L3440.html

chicco2, Jan 16, 5:19pm
Royal icing. The very best for piping small lines etc. White of 1 egg. Gradually add sieved icing sugar mixing well between additions. Mix until mixture holds soft peaks. Make sure you do sieve as any lumps will block the piping nozzle. Go for a size 2 or 3 nozzle. If you want to colour the icing, use gel colours.

gennie, Jan 16, 7:27pm
Ditto royal icing.For doing biscuits you need it thickish for doing the outside piping - add enough icing sugar so it no longer runs off you spoon when you hold it up above the bowl.I always do white outlines as it saves time than doing different colours.Then let them sit for 20 min until those lines of icing have formed a crust.They wont be totally dry but if they have a crust they will be strong enough to hold the other icing in.Then add some water, just a few drops at a time, to the icing until it becomes runny enough to run in a continous flow off the spoon.It should still be quite thick though.Then fill in your outlines.Wont be long till touch dry but takes overnight to dry right through so leave then on baking trays somewhere flys, cats, kids etc wont get them, such as a cold oven, overnight.You should be able to stack them after that in a container.google biscuiteers toolkit tin for some inspiration.