Induction vs gas cook tops

Page 1 / 3
fmgirl, Jan 12, 7:25pm
Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Opinions / views please on induction cooking! How does it compare with gas.
thansk

blwatson, Jan 12, 8:24pm
I love my induction cook top which I have had now for a year, it is really easy to clean because things don't bake on if they spill out of the pot etc, it heats up really quickly and you can control the temperature easily when simmering etc, I am really happy with it.

uli, Jan 12, 8:35pm
I would never go from gas to electro or induction.

Almost every chef uses gas. Gas reacts instantly, you turn it down and it is simmering instantly not going on boiling for a while.

vonkrum, Jan 12, 8:46pm
love my gas hobs also.Would never cook on anything else now.

dbab, Jan 12, 8:49pm
I've had an induction cooktop for about 16 years now, and wouldn't be without it. It cooks really quickly, and the heat is very controllable.
If we ever moved house, I would take mine with me.
I guess, like anything else, it's all a matter of opinion.
Would it be possible for you to try using induction! Maybe a friend has one.

katalin2, Jan 12, 9:00pm
I loved switching to gas when we renovated our kitchen in the old house years ago, but when we built a new home 2 years ago on the recommendation of several friends put in an induction hob- have not regretted it. It boils a cup of water in an instant and much easier to control the temperature- I was for ever burning things on gas. So much easier to keep clean, and as above poster said, even sugary stuff doesn't burn on if overflows, unlike ceramic tops. Because it heats so quickly, I hardly ever use my microwave now. My old cast iron frypans and dutch oven work fine- and I bought a new set of cheap pots from Briscoes half price sale which I was going to replace when I could afford it- but in fact I am very happy with them. You can test your old pots to see if they will work by seeing if a magnet will stick to the pot's bottom.

uli, Jan 12, 9:09pm
Does that mean stainless will not work on induction tops!

dbab, Jan 12, 9:17pm
Stainless steel pots and pans do work on them.

samanya, Jan 13, 12:15am
Have you ever used an induction cook top!
I suspect that you haven't,because they do exactly what you say gas does .in fact better & more consistent IMO.
"Gas reacts instantly, you turn it down and it is simmering instantly not going on boiling for a while."
.in fact I switched from an gas hob to an induction hob & I'd challenge anyone who says that induction is inferior to gas (except for a 'real' wok)

uli, Jan 13, 3:20am
I have been at a demonstration when I considered what to buy when renovating my kitchen. Was not convinced it is better than gas. Maybe it is for you.

Was also told any pots which are not magnetic would not work - and my stainless steel pots are not magnetic. As some of them are worth several hundred dollars that was another consideration.

samanya, Jan 13, 4:26am
You are correct about the magnetic thing.
I was intending to replacegas with gas, as I loved my old gas hob & bearing in mind power cuts, possible in my area due to winds/snow (very rarely, thankfully) but after seeing the induction hob working .changed my mind & I can always use the gas hob on my BBQ, which I do when using the pressure cooker,not magnetic, for chickpeas etc.
They gave me a set of SS saucepans when I purchased the hob & I picked up another set with steamer & stockpot for half price.
I'm very happy with it & Ido a lot of cooking & preserving.

dbab, Jan 13, 4:30am
With all due respect uli, watching a demonstration does not make you an expert.
As I said earlier, it all comes down to personal preference.

retired, Jan 13, 5:16am
I went for Bosch when we replaced our oven and cook top.I am very pleased with it, chose the no knobs top and so easy to clean.Also have the self cleaning oven.The cook top and the oven heat up very quickly.Saying that my daughter in law loves her gas appliance!

uli, Jan 13, 8:05am
Where did I say I am an expert!
I said that I prefer gas - that was all.
Then you asked if I had ever cooked on one and I answered that.
What else do you expect!

samanya, Jan 13, 8:26am
I think the point is that how can you prefer one hob over another if you haven't used both!

lucky1989, Jan 13, 9:32am
GAS! loveee gas!

katalin2, Jan 13, 9:47am
Some of my good stainless steel pots didn't work on my induction hob- I think it is because they either had a copper bottom or in some of the heavier pots they have some sort of alloy in the base. I did replace my stock pot- that was the most expensive item I had to replace. As I said above, I picked up a cheap set of pots from Briscoes sale; and bought a couple of other ones back from overseas. I found homes for my old pots with friends and family as they were good quality ones.

toadfish, Jan 13, 4:31pm
I am buying induction for my new kitchen.I am satisfied that it will cook just fine, but for me the ability to wipe down quickly with a cloth and use it as extra bench space when not in use is what clinches it for me.Had gas once and loathed cleaning all the parts. Also likes the way it just blends into the black granite benchtop. ooooh can't wait!
I was offered a deal yesterday - Whirlpool induction hob, oven (which included a rotisserie & is self cleaning) for $3600 and they would throw in a $1000 set of Jamie Oliver saucepans.
Does anyone have whirlpool!
Does that sound like a good deal!
Thanks in advance sorry to hijack thread.

fmgirl, Jan 13, 6:48pm
My classic scan pan won't work. Maybe getting a new set of pans added to the price would encourage me to go with induction.

ma51, Jan 13, 7:12pm
I love my induction and have changed too induction cooking in two homes!

herself, Jan 13, 7:49pm
I looked longingly at induction when replacing my hob, unfortunately price won out and a gas hob went in.There was no way I could justify replacing my perfectly good copper bottom pots (there was no offer of a deal on pots to go with the induction hob) on top of the added expense over and above what a gas hob cost.So, gas it is and I am extremely happy with it.If your budget just won't allow for induction then I would Go Gas!

lucemm, Jan 13, 9:09pm
Definately induction!

samanya, Jan 13, 9:14pm
I bought a larger induction hob than I needed, simply because it was the only one that would fit the existing gap & it was cheaper than replacing the bench top, or leaving it with a bit of a 'hotch potch' look.
I'd go gas too, if I couldn't have induction.

nicole1011, Jan 13, 9:57pm
I got gas in a house we built because I thought it looked nicer, incidentally we only ended up living there for 6 months but I would never go gas again. I was forever burning things because the heat wouldn't go low enough to simmer and spilling food was much more of a hassle to clean up.

alistacamel, Jan 13, 10:58pm
My brother has gas in his restaurant and induction at home.He raves about the induction.