Jam Failure!

grouch, Apr 25, 8:41am
Today I made Fig and Ginger Jam and boiled it for over 30 mins but it has not set. I have poured it into jars but what can I do now. Any advice please.

deus701, Apr 25, 8:59am
The reason is figs is a low pectin fruit, the 'glue' needed for jams to set. You can add extra pectin yourself or try using lemon juice.

juliewn, Apr 25, 12:39pm
Hi. . you can place the jam back into a pot and bring it slowly to a boil - slowly so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn - stir it often.

Keep simmering the jam until it has reached setting stage - check this by putting a couple of tablespoonsful on a plate... pop it into your fridge or freezer for a few minutes to cool quickly and then run your finger through the centre of the jam.

If it crinkles slightly and doesn't run back together again it will set once you've put it in jars, sealed it, and it's cooled.

If the test jam runs together again, cook a while longer, checking every ten minutes, stirring often to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

It sounds like it would be delicious with ginger added. . is it crystallised ginger you've used, or fresh ginger. . thanks for your help. .

juliewn, Apr 25, 12:40pm
ps. . wash the jars again before filling with the jam, so just the setting jam is in them. .

cookessentials, Apr 25, 7:40pm
lemon juice MAY do the trick

grouch, Apr 25, 8:23pm
I used both lemon and orange juice in this receipe and the receipe said fresh ginger but i used the ginger in the jar.

indy95, Apr 25, 9:40pm
If you have already added lemon juice to the jam and it still hasn't set the best option is probably to bring it back to the boil and add jam setting mix.

cgvl, Apr 26, 1:20am
have you got access to some rhubarb if so add a couple of stalks finely chopped to the jam and boil until rhubarb has cooked this will help add pectin and you will not taste the rhubarb.
It is what I have started to do to my jams as I'm finding they are not setting well otherwise.

greerg, Apr 26, 8:41am
Does anyonehave a reliable guide to the amount of rhubarb per kilo of jam fruit? I use a bit of lemon juice but had to reboil one batch this year which hasn't happened before. Someone told me that they had used too much rhubarb and ended up with fruit-flavoured rubber.

cgvl, Apr 26, 10:53am
I use about 1 stalk to 1. 5kg fruit and we haven't been able to taste it at all. But you will find it comes to the setting point much quicker than usual.

elliehen, Apr 26, 11:13am
I have used the sachet of King's jam-setting pectin for some awkward fruits. It's fail-safe.

greerg, Apr 27, 8:12am
Thanks cgvl - will give that a go.

jag5, Mar 10, 9:04am
Grate in an apple.