Hit me with your ideas for the year 1893

patsy3, Jan 17, 5:57am
Going to a women's dinner - for year of the vote 1893. Will flick through Mrs Beatons at Mums, but want some weird ideas off the cuff. No need for full recipes, but want some fun stuff.

biggles45, Jan 17, 6:02am
My gran was born 1895 and her speciality was rabbit pie or rabbit stew! Need a decent butcher (or guy with a gun) to get rabbit though!

Old fashioned puddings like jam roly poly, spotted dick, blackberry and apple pie.

amm5, Jan 17, 6:13am
scones,rabbit, possum,swanfruit piesjams and jellieshand whipped butter,full cream. lard

added

game piesmeat pies,thick vegie soup,broth

elliehen, Jan 17, 6:13am
Some ideas straight from The Evening Post of that year :)

RECIPES. (Very Good).
Evening Post, Volume XLVI, Issue 126, 25 November 1893, Page 1

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast!a=d&d=EP18931125.2.46

patsy3, Jan 17, 6:17am
Very good. Got a bit of time, so will have fun. Could go and catch an eel for fun, but how to make it taste good!

samanya, Jan 17, 6:18am
Bread & milk for breakfast for poorer families.so I was told.
Haven't a clue how it was concocted.

patxyz, Jan 17, 6:21am
Offal

patsy3, Jan 17, 6:28am
haha, might have to have some fun experienting with offal and sorts with SIR and the kids beforehand.

figjamto, Jan 17, 7:25am
The good old Victoria Sandwich sponge cake is derived from the Victorian era, they also made a lot of jelly desserts in very fancy moulds.seafood and shellfish were the food of the poorer people of the time.rabbit and some game, they could eat swan in those days.offal as somebody has already said.google Victorian food, lots of ideas

vintagekitty, Jan 17, 7:30am
Thats awesome!, omg even our ancestors enjoyed sweet treats

vintagekitty, Jan 17, 7:30am
bad mother haha

elliehen, Jan 17, 7:41am
I'll bet those fried sugar nuts were popular!

terachaos, Jan 17, 7:51am

vintagekitty, Jan 17, 7:54am
wow, thats so cool. 3000BC they were eating ice cream, who would have thought!

elliehen, Jan 17, 10:49am
terachaos, thanks for a fascinating link!

lythande1, Jan 17, 6:36pm
Most food on the foodtimeline makes you glad we live now, with our variety and herbs and spices.

davidt4, Jan 17, 8:10pm
What an interesting site.Thanks.

patsy3, Jan 18, 6:29am
That was cool terachaos.thanks

olwen, Jan 18, 7:52am
My great-grandfather had a fruit and vege shop.My great-grandmother made icecream (for sale I think).That would have been at the latest early 1900's

daleaway, Jan 18, 11:08pm
What a great idea for a dinner.

Most New Zealand food was pretty ordinary, not the fancy schmancy stuff offered in recipe columns and even recipe books - much like today!
Devils/angels on horseback are recorded here from the 1880s.
Roast mutton was everywhere in NZ. Rabbit was common.
Haricots (stews).A fish course was usual. Backyard veges (had to be in season) roast and boiled. Good news: chips had arrived!
Puddings: Blancmange. Plum duff (steamed/boiled suet pudding with raisins and sultanas) and egg custard. Jam roly poly. Junket. Ice cream was still a real treat at home, it was something you ate when you went out.
Charlottes and fruit fritters and trifle.
Try these chaps:
http://nzfoodhistory.macmate.me/NZ_Food_History/Home.html

blueviking, Jan 22, 7:47pm
You forgot the best one. Tripe and Onion.