Easy Indian Chicken Curry

hili01, Jan 18, 9:48am
Hello, I'm looking for a fantastic recipe for an easy Chicken Curry. I usually get put off with all the tedious list of ingredients that are needed - so if you have a recipe thatsquick, easy and simple and is similar to the real thing- please share!

daisyhill, Jan 18, 12:19pm
If you want it to taste like the real thing then you need a variety of ingredients, particularly spices. If you aren't prepared to do it properly then just buy a jar of sauce and call it good - your choice. But spices are not intimidating or difficult once you actually try it, and you can make the base sauce in advance and put it in the fridge or freezer so time shouldn't be a constraint. And real curry is so much better than jar stuff!

Having said that, Patak's sauces (in the sachet, not the jar) are good if you really don't have time to make your own from scratch.

lx4000, Jan 18, 7:43pm
agrees with above. Soo easy to make once you have the spices and made it a few times! mmMmm I'm making different ones and loving it!. Naan bread is easy too, I add different things to the basic recipe and all are great. Gotta love the mortar and pestleto crush those seeds!
Don't let the list of whats needed put you off! You will Love it and you can adjust the amounts to suit your taste. :)

amazing_grace, Jan 18, 7:57pm
I always have spices in my cupboard.so I do something like this for chicken.

You will need: Spices, a tin of tomatoes, chicken, 2 or 3 onions and garlic.

Saute finely chopped onion till seethrough, add garlic, add spices (2t cumin, 1t coriander, 1t tumeric, 1/2t ginger, some cardomon if you have them, a pinch ground cloves).Saute these together, then add the chicken (either pieces or cubes, whatever you fancy).Brown the spices and chicken.Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or the juice of a lemon.Stir up.Add 1 can chopped onions.Simmer till the fat rises to the top of the curry (about 1hr)Serve on rice.

tui93, Jan 18, 8:06pm
Do you mean 1 can chopped tomatoes!

destiny6nz, Jan 18, 8:35pm
i have all those ingredients. Im gonna have that for dinner.

sarahb5, Jan 19, 1:14am
You can buy pre-prepared spice mixes rather than the individual packets of spices - either as paste or powder.Pataks are good or there is that brand who's name I forget that has about 6 or 8 little packets in it - they're good.

ETA: Spice n Easy - that's the one - I like those because I know then I will have everything I need and you can adjust the flavour to suit your own taste

hili01, Jan 19, 8:46pm
Hey thanks for your helpful tips. I'm off to our local spice shop, I've dusted off my pestle and mortar and will make authentic curry 'with' the spices for dinner tonight. Happy cooking everyone!

lx4000, Jan 20, 12:28am
Oh please let us know what you cooking and how it goes please!

I have made a few here and will make some again and not others, but thats down to our taste!
I love using seeds and spices and crushing them myself over the stuff you buy packaged! Sooo much nicer!

Have fun and enjoy:) Oh and Naan bread is sooo easy to make. I crush coriander seeds into mine!