Is rice fattening ?

Page 1 / 2
mike16, Jan 19, 5:16am
I hope not as I eat a lot !

beaker59, Jan 19, 5:17am
Calories in vs calories used is more important than worrying about wether one food or another is fattening as such. Rice does contain plenty of calories.

sarahb5, Jan 19, 5:22am
Everything's fattening if you eat too much of it .

mike16, Jan 19, 5:28am
NOt worrying - just asking !

ferita, Jan 19, 5:35am
Look at the countries that eat a lot of rice . most people in those countries are not fat

tarawera99, Jan 19, 5:38am
It does come down to how many calories you eat versus energy out. As above poster said there are alot of calories in rice

sarahb5, Jan 19, 5:38am
It's not necessarily the rice that makes you fat, it's what you eat with the rice that does the damage.In places like China, Japan, India, etc. where they eat a lot of rice they also only serve a small amount of meat, fish, etc. with their rice.The rice is main component of the meal - here the rice is an accompaniment and our portions are much bigger in proportion to our body size.Basically, most Westerners eat too much.Try eating your rice-based dinner with chopsticks - you'll eat a lot less and because it takes longer to eat it your food will be better digested too.

uli, Jan 19, 8:24am
Because those people do not eat rice like we do - one HUGE heaped spoonful of rice onto the plate . and a bit of meat and veges on top. That is the "Western" take on this - and the vegan or vegetarian take is even worse!

In Asia rice is one of about 20 dishes on the dinner table. The rest is meat, fish, eggs, veges or fruit. And they eat one spoonful of each! Gives you an idea of the percentages .

beaker59, Jan 19, 10:22am
Yup couldn't believe how little rice was actually eaten when living with Cambodeans it was ubiquitous but not in the volumes I expected.

sleepyjo65, Jan 19, 11:32am
I have a Thai son (adopted), and had his parents live with us for a while.I also have Cambodians in our family, and have visited Thailand and the extended family of my son, so have seen a few families that eat rice as part of their everyday diet.

In Thailand we met both well off people and poor people, and none of them were 'large' people like many of us.The quantities of rice in a meal depended on their income.

The well off people had like Uli said "rice is one of about 20 dishes on the dinner table,the rest is meat, fish, eggs, veges or fruit".

But when we stayed with some of the poor families of my son's extended family, the rice content was extremely high, with only very small portions of meat or vege, and I was informed that when things were extremely tough rice was their staple, that is what kept them going.Yet these people were still trim people.

lythande1, Jan 19, 6:37pm
Rice has carbohydrate, like potatoes, pasta and bread.
It will be fattening if you eat too much for your needs, like everything else.

gingercrush, Jan 20, 3:45am
I am not a believer in "rice is an evil food" or any other carbs. But sure it is fattening because of how we eat it and because we're not burning those carbs off either.

kay141, Jan 20, 4:30am
Any food, junk or healthy is fattening if you eat too much.

uli, Jan 20, 5:22am
This must be "Quote of the day" LOL
Any other great discoveries you want to share kay141!

kay141, Jan 20, 6:17am
I never said it was a great discovery, just the truth. Why do you pick on everything I say!

hestia, Jan 20, 7:24am
You forgot the tofu.

uli, Jan 20, 8:35am
Interestingly enough the tofu seems to be a 14 day wonder. All the Asians that I know only buy and cook it as a "last resort" - when they have not enough money for meat . which is the days before they get paid LOL :)

knowsley, Jan 20, 8:52am
My partner is Chinese and all her friends love and eat tofu on a regular basis. Definitely not a "last resort". It has nothing to do with money.

thewomble1, Jan 21, 6:50am
Would not think so.countries that grow rice.population is not over weight usually.

sarahb5, Jan 21, 7:55am
Because she can .Adopt the Mrs Brown approach - works for me!

kay141, Jan 21, 7:28pm
Mrs Brown! It's almost like stalking but at least the tag team seems have split up. Of course, I could take it as very flattering that someone is so interested in my posts, if it wasn't for the snide comments.

nfh1, Jan 22, 1:43am
Yes I get them too, very childish.At least whilst we are being targeted others are being left alone!

sarahb5, Jan 22, 3:13am
Which is exactly how I feel too .

sarahb5, Jan 22, 3:14am
Hmm .At least it means our posts are worthy of being read I suppose

cookessentials, Jan 22, 4:20am
The particular poster targets just about anyone.a great way to get her jollies I guess.