Tomato Relish/Chutney recipe needed, please

sathan81, Apr 25, 2:48am
I am not the best of cooks, but i have a ton of tomatoes that i need to use so hubby sugested relish or chutney. I have googled it but there are just sooo many recipes to choose from!

Has any1 got a easy, no fuss, great tasting recipe? ?

jessie981, Apr 25, 2:53am
There are so many. enter tomato relish or chutney on l/h messageboard, date posted anytime. Recipies will come up

jessie981, Apr 25, 3:05am
I have Aunt Daisy recipe for above but this is her Tomato Sauce
(sorry I haven't got the metric measurements)
12lb tomatoes
2lb apples
1lb onions
2&1/4lb golden syrup
2oz salt, allspice
1/4oz chillies, mace & cloves
1qt vinegar
Prepare all & boil 3 - 4 hrs. Strain & bottle.

juliewn, Apr 25, 12:13pm
Hi Sathan. .

I've just bumped the preserves thread to the top for you. . there are tomato recipes there that might be of interest to you. .

This is the link:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=13

doree36, Apr 25, 10:36pm
TOMATORELISH
3 LBS Tomatoes
1 lb onions
1 lb sugar
1 chopped green Pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoons Dry Mustard
1 ½ Tablespoons Curry Powder
Cornflour
White Vinegar
Blanch and skin tomatoes, chop up with onions, sprinkle with salt and leave overnight
Drain tomatoes and onions and add other ingredientsand addvinegar to just cover. Boil 15-20 minutes, add 4 tablespoons of corn flour mixed with vinegar and boil 2 minutes longer. Bottle when hotDELICIOUS

elliehen, Apr 25, 11:28pm
This is a tried and true recipe from the 1976 edition of the Edmonds cookbook:
TOMATO RELISH
12 large tomatoes, peeled
4 large onions
25gm plain un-iodised salt
500gm brown sugar
1 tblsp dry mustard
1 tblsp curry powder
2 tblsp plain flour
3 chilllies
malt vinegar

Cut tomatoes and onions into four or more pieces. Sprinkle with salt and leave overnight. Next day pour off liquid (don't save it - this process is just to get the excess water from the tomatoes).

Put tomato and onion mix into large pot with sugar and chillies. Add enough vinegar to just cover. Bring to boil and simmer 1 & 1/2 hours.

Mix flour, curry powder and mustard to a smooth pasted with a little cold vinegar. Add to mixture and boil hard 5 minutes.

Put into hot sterilized jars and cover when cold. You can cover when hot if you have pop-top jars you want to recycle. Also, if you have family who like it hot, add more chillies at the start. I've added up to 10 small dried chillies for family who like Thai food :)

indigojo, Apr 26, 12:22am
I made some pasta sauce on the weekend (for another option)... http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2009/march/passata and http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2009/march/chunky-prima
vera. Made 8 small preserving jars and 2 large craigs jam jars worth...

elliehen, Mar 4, 10:11am
sathan81, something else I do in the height of the tomato harvest is cook a sort of ratatouille mix of tomatoes, onions, garlic, green peppers and zucchini and freeze it in ice-cream containers. It's great in the middle of the winter as a starter for a number of recipes, or just eaten as is.