Ideas for dinners with no oven and limited fridge

chris160179, Jan 4, 9:47pm
space needed please.

Hello ladies.We (hubby, 5yo, 3yo, me and dog) are going to stay at a chalet next week for 4 nights.There are all cooking facilities including a BBQ, but no oven.That part doesn't bother me so much, it's more that the fridge is quite small (as in pic 10 here: http://www.travelbug.co.nz/northland-accommodation/mangawhai/motels/hidden-valley-chalets-hidde7!startDate=2013-01-05&trackingCode=GRID_0001&nights=0).

We are going to need to take mostly non-perishable food as there isn't alot of fridge space.We will keep milk and butter in the fridge, but we will probably have to do a couple of meatless dinners.

The other issue is that our dog is fed a raw diet, which we keep in the freezer until we feed her, but as the fridge only has an icebox, this isn't going to be possible.

Any suggestions on dinners and keeping everything else frozen/cold!

Thanks.

tinkyandted, Jan 4, 10:00pm
freeze , spag bol , bbq meat , mince for nachos , chicken for stir fry, shepherds pie in a microwave safe dish -, & a 2 l milk , & dog food in portions - put all in a carefully stacked chilly bin in the reverse order in which you will eat it -open this chilly bin once daily only - to get tomorrows food out ! Stays frozen for days .
In a 2nd chilly bin keep salads veg etc & what ever meal you have selected from the 1st chilly bin - the meal/ meat / dog food keeps the 2nd bin cool .
Use the ice box for freezer pads .
HTH :-)

dezzie, Jan 4, 10:39pm
Its only 10 minutes from town, so I guess you'll have fish and chips at least one night, so that leaves 3 others, I'd freeze 2 nights meals,probably sausages for one night so they can go on the BBQ, and maybe a bacon and egg pie for the other, take something for the first night fresh but chilled and in the chilly bin, those hydroponic lettuces keep well if you drop their roots in a glass of water, and theres more than likely a heap of roadside stalls selling fresh produce anyway, a few tomatoes, a few loaves of bread and bobs your uncle, is your man interested in fishing at all, you might end up with fish for a couple of nights if he is, there will probably be corn on the cob cheap up there now, yummy!

pickles7, Jan 4, 10:46pm
You will no doubt go for a drive over that four day period, relax and just buy what you require. I would not bother with juggling around stuff in chilly bins. Your holiday as well.Eat out two nights and your done.

lythande1, Jan 5, 2:42am
Like camping.
We did this for a week or more at a time.
Took a chilly bin along for the milk and cheese and meat.
Keeps quite a while you know.

unicstudent, Jan 5, 3:21am
Our friends camp for long periods at a camping ground. I just learnt that rather than take a camp fridge, they have a wee freezer - and they freeze water bottles to use/rotate in the chilly bin - making it their fridge - so they have great storage with both. You could freeze water bottles (slicker pads if you have them) in the wee freezer unit and pop them in your chilly bin to extend your fridge space :) However you manage, I hope you enjoy your time away together :)

roshu, Jan 5, 3:49am
Make one pot dinners from tinned and dried ingredients if you don't have a fridge.
There are lots of meals now available in large sachets that can be heated in a pot.
Do you have a microwave!

245sam, Jan 5, 4:11am
chris160179, here's a recipe that is made from ingredients that require no refrigeration at all.

OUTDOORS STEW
potatoes – the number required dependent on size and the number of people to be served
water
1-2 onions, chopped
1 or 2 x 440g can(s) baked beans
1 x 340g can corned beef, trimmed of any fat and cut into chunky pieces

Peel the potatoes and cut them into even-sized chunky pieces. Put the potatoes on to cook in water to just cover them, then chop the onion(s) into chunky pieces and add them to the potatoes. Boil until the potatoes are just half cooked, then pour off most of the water. To the almost cooked potatoes and onions add the baked beans and the corned beef. Allow the mixture to bubble gently for 10 minutes, then serve - we have always liked it best when sprinkled with grated cheese and topped with a dollop of tomato sauce but the dish is great without any extras.

Enjoy your holiday and as others have advised, it is very possible to eat well whilst on holiday for a short time with no actual refrigerator at all and you do at least have one, albeit a smaller one than you're obviously used to.
Milk can occupy a considerable amount of refrigerator space so have you considered using milk powder!

Hope that helps.:-))

245sam, Jan 5, 4:13am
As pic 10 in the link at #1 shows, yes there is a microwave.:-))

dlmckay, Jan 5, 4:23am
For the dog, get K9 Natural freeze dried. You just add water for a 100% raw diet without needing any refrigeration. You can buy it at Animates.