Revive Cafe - Pesto Recipe - Have a query?

toadfish, Dec 28, 9:13pm
BASIL PESTO RECIPE

Pesto is an amazingly flavourful dip or sauce that goes with so many things. It is very expensive to buy, yet very inexpensive to make - especially if you grow your own basil. This is a healthier pesto recipe without cheese and too much oil.

INGREDIENTS
MAKES 2 CUPS
1 large bunch fresh basil (around 125g/4oz)
½ cup rice bran oil
1 cup cashew nuts
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
2 cloves garlic

METHOD
Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend until it is well mixed, but there are still some nut pieces showing.
You can use a blender or stick blender but you will have to add a little more oil or water to make the mixture turn.
For a different flavour you can use almonds or walnuts instead of cashew nuts.
Traditionally pesto uses pine nuts - however these are around 4 times the price of almonds and cashews

toadfish, Dec 28, 9:18pm
Ok. My scales have given up the ghost.I found this on google.
So I am thinking 2 cups of leaves would be enough. Any pesto makers out there to give me advice!

"How many Cups of Basil leaves do you think I need for this recipe!In order to figure out how much is a bunch of basil we used 1 average bunch of basil for our measurements that weighed 2.5ounces (70gms) . We found out that one bunch of basil contains about 60 sprigs of basil. This means that there is about 1 cup of packed basil leaves in a bunch, 1 cup of chopped basil leaves in a bunch, and 2 cups of loose basil leaves in a bunch"

geldof, Dec 28, 9:27pm
I don't think the amount is critical, toadfish.Start with the basil and other ingredients and leave adding the oil til last.Then add the oil til you get the right consistency.
I never measure exactly for pestos.

The new Revive Book is great.I have just been reading it this morning.

245sam, Dec 29, 2:03am
Hi Julia,

The pesto recipe I use states "¾ cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves" so to avoid having to "tightly pack" the leaves each time I decided to weigh them and found that "¾ cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves" = 45g, therefore ¼ cup must equal 15g so for the recipe you're using I suggest that you would need a generous 2 cups i.e. 8 x ¼ cup = 8 x 15g = 120g.

Hope that helps.:-))

toadfish, Dec 29, 2:07am
Thanks 245Sam, what recipe do you use.I like the look of the one above as it misses out the cheese. thought it would be nice not to have to buy fresh parmesan specially for it, making it alot cheaper as I have everything but the cashews. (Lemons and Basil free in the garden)

toadfish, Dec 29, 2:08am
Great idea to add the oil last, then you can add as much or as little as you need.

toadfish, Dec 29, 2:10am
mmmm now I am thinking this recipe includes the stalks as well. as it doesn't mention stripping the leaves. I think I just need to give it a whirl - I have always been more of a "Free Style" cook, just like to follow the recipe the first time.

davidt4, Dec 29, 2:14am
Don't use the basil stalks.I did that once and the result was unpleasantly lumpy.

toadfish, Dec 29, 2:17am
Thanks for the advice, I must admit to having come across stringy stalks in Pesto from the Clevedon Farmers Market and did wonder if it was used to "pad" it out.

245sam, Dec 29, 11:36am
You're most welcome Julia.Now that I also have the Revive book I'm likely to be trying that recipe also but to date the pesto recipe I have used is Robyn Martin's.

¾ cup (45g) tightly packed fresh basil leaves
1 garlic clove
pinch salt
¼ cup each ofolive oilandtoasted pinenuts
25g grated parmesan cheese

Place basil in the bowl of a food processor or mortar.Crush and peel the garlic.Add to basil with the salt and half of the oil.Process, or pound with a pestle, to a smooth paste.Add pinenuts and remaining oil and process or pound until the nuts are lightly chopped.Add the parmesan cheese and process until mixed.
The recipe makes about ¾ cup.:-))