"Recipes" versus "Health" Topic your opinions....

Page 1 / 5
toadfish, Apr 24, 9:12pm
Thought I would share my opinion.

I personally feel that the recipe section should be for recipes & tips. Yes freindships are forged and converastions entered into but the basis is recipes & household tips.

I (personally) feel that alot of the problems with the "tone" of the Recipe Section is due to peoples opinions on "Health" not which way a pavalova should be cooked or how to remove stains from a tablecloth. I have just had a look at the Health & Beauty part of the message board & I personally (again) feel that the "Health" threads belong over there.

The main reason for this being - that's where people who are interested in health hang out. I (personally again - have I stressed that enough) don't appreciate being "educated" on a regular basis on health, and think thats why others are lashing out. The approach I take is to ignore them... I am very happy in my lifesyle choice, and have been "educated" enough over the past few months & will continue to make my own choices.

Now everybody... notice the pink heart icon - This is a pink and fluffy thread, please would you only enter if you have something constructive to say and can say it in a "Pink & Fluffy" Manner.

I am interested to hear other peoples views... .

vintagekitty, Apr 24, 9:19pm
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

kirinesha, Apr 24, 9:25pm
I disagree, in a pink and fluffy manner, for 3 reasons:

1. Nutrition and food are inexorably intertwined. Hence the diet support threads that are on here too.

2. I don't read threads by people I don't like or if it's a subject I don't like. Surely others are capable of doing the same and exercising their personal discretion about this. We're (mostly) all grown ups.

3. I don't agree with trying to bully someone, whether in a pink and fluffy manner or not, to post somewhere else just because some don't like it. I defend the right of anyone to post where they want on what they want.

toadfish, Apr 24, 9:31pm
The last thing I would do is try to "Bully" someone off the message board, just post in a more appropriate "section" of the message board. Just like I wouldn't post in recipes about... . how to take a virus off my computer or what laptop suits my needs best... I would post that in "computing", where people who are interested and knowledgable in that subject hang out.

And again... just my opinion.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 9:48pm
Are you saying toadfish (and just asking in a pink and fluffy way) that the people in Recipes are just not interested in their health and knowing what it is that makes them healthy?

Are you also saying, (again in a pink and fluffy manner), that when people want to know whether a high fat food/ saturated fat food is bad for them (this was asked, for example, in the coconut oil thread) that they really don't want to know the answer?

Again, in a pink and fluffy tone of voice, would it not be better to cover all these and other concerns expressed by diabetics, gluten intolerant and other allergy sufferers in a thread that is specifically designed to impart all the information they could possibly want to help them make better food choices?

Again, in a pink and fluffy manner, do you think that those who start threads titled, for instance, "Food Suggestions for a Diabetic/Heart Attack Patient/etc" or "Baked Beans, what do you think of it", which are not really recipe related should stay away too?

Again, in a pink and fluffy manner, What is the difference between say a tip on how to get grease stains off someones favourite blouse and tips on how to lose weight whilst remaining full and improving your health, or tips on how to improve your own health and well being through food?

Remember I am being pink and fluffy and remaining relevant here. I am not posting unusual, possibly schizophrenic and definitely weird postings as hezwez and ellihen have started doing in my thread.

vintagekitty, Apr 24, 9:59pm
and,
I was just reading in another thread that a member had someone phone them at their home and say some rubbish to them over what they wrote on this msg board. This is taking things too far, its not ok to do this, its patheic, childish and over the top. Whoever it was, you should step back and take a look at yourself, what you have done is dispicable and I hope the person takes it further and gets it tracked.

toadfish, Apr 24, 9:59pm
I think you have misunderstood the meaning of "Pink & Fluffy" Buzzy.

My defination is just an answer devoid of personal attack and sarcasm... . .

But reading through (and cutting out the sarcasm) I can get the jist of your opinion which is what I was asking...

So I guess to cut a very long story short your opinion is it should stay here...

Great... anyone else?

buzzy110, Apr 24, 10:08pm
I was being very pink and fluffy but just to be certain, I wrote it down so there was no misunderstanding. My questions were valid. You need only answer each one, rather than assume anything.

If you read my last post in the wholefoods thread you will see that I have bowed out, leaving those with nothing nice to say, to say it.

elliehen, Apr 24, 10:14pm
Edited to remove reference to a genuine mental illness where the word is used improperly and promotes the stigmatisation in society of those suffering from mental illness.

As for your question toadfish?

We need to leave it up to individual posters to use their common sense... . sigh... .

greerg, Apr 24, 10:17pm
I'm with you Toadfish. Was interested in Nauru's truffles at Christmas and wanted to check whether any of the posters whose recipes I knew and trusted had commented. Had to wade through all sorts of stuff re the unhealthiness of sweet foods of this nature first. Like most peopleI'm well aware that things like this are not health foods in the nutritional sense but "health" encompasses more than just nutrition and the "pink fuzzies" associated with receiving a little sweet treat at Christmas are mentally healthy for both giver and receiver in my view.

beaker59, Apr 24, 10:45pm
Personally Toadfish I get the feeling this thread is just a passive agressive dig at someone you haven't named. True a thread about cars or boats etc is out of place here but a thread about nutrition is just as recipe related as household hints like removeing stains from tablecloths. Do you suggest there is a commitee or something to sort out the undesirables ?

toadfish, Apr 24, 10:55pm
Then you misunderstand me then Beaker59, If thats what you (or anyone else) thinks then please vote this thread off as it truely wasn't my intention.

I am just sick and tired of the bickering and thought it may be a way to go forward.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 11:20pm
Do you not see just how it is ironic that someone who wants to see threads with information and opinions about nutrition removed from recipes, actually starting a thread asking for people's opinions.

RFLLAD (Rolling on the floor laughing like a drain).

hezwez, Apr 24, 11:25pm
I, too, would sincerely wish that the lecturing, hectoring nature of some posters not be a part of the recipes forum. When someone asks for a recipe to use up creme eggs and is met with ridicule... to give just one example, it's simply not on. We are all over 18 and have the choice to eat how we choose, and to request and give recipes as we choose, without being berated for our choices.

jacko205, Apr 24, 11:26pm
pot kettle black

beaker59, Apr 24, 11:27pm
So don't feed the trolls if thats your genuine intention.

"Health and beauty" is not my place because I'm a hunting fishing sort of bloke peeked in just now and its a bit too estrogenated for me and yet I feed a decent sized family from my Kitchen and I read this stuff. OK so sometimes I don't agree and dismiss other times I absorb in a nuetral way and it osmotically affects what I do but the effect I believe is generally positive and mind expanding. If you want to find bickering look at the detractors first they rarely contribute in any positive way. Out of Buzzy's threads I have entered the heady world of sour dough bread making and expanded my garden a bit. I have had my belief in living from my own garden bolstered and I have started contemplating putting in a chook run again. There are a number of men who are regulars here who wouldn't go to "Health and Beauty" so much would be lost from that small but impotant part of this community.

daleaway, Apr 24, 11:31pm
Seeing that you asked nicely, Toadfish, this fairly frequent reader would like to see recipes and home hints here, and comments about the health or otherwise of peoples' food choices made on the Health board.

Opinions about nutrition are just that, opinions. So put them on the Opinions page for heaven's sake and spare us the preaching. It's not appropriate and it wastes peoples' time when it intrudes into recipe threads.

No matter what we eat, we're all going to end up in same wooden box, and devoting our lives to food neuroses along the way ain't going to change that!

mbos, Apr 24, 11:38pm
I read in here because I am interested in food, in cooking, and in nutrition.

However, I don't know the qualifications of those that assume the role of 'educating' the mere mortals around them, and therefore just how much weight to give their pronouncements. I must admit the more hectoring, dictatorial, and patronising the tone, the more likely I am to write them off as just another internet nutbar who has found their idea of heaven in which to push their barrow.

Yes, my daughter is coeliac, so I'm very concerned with nutrition. Therefore I take advice from a qualified paediatric dietitian and nutritionist as to how best to meet her dietary needs, while not isolating her or limiting her food choices in the contemporary world any more than I have to. I come here for recipes, for both her and for the rest of the family, not to get a lecture on how I should eschew all modern or processed foods.

This was NOT meant in a pink and fluffy way.

Sorry to the original poster for breaking the rules.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 11:40pm
This of course was the full quote, rather than ellihen's version, which implied that I was being something other than factual.

uli, Apr 24, 11:58pm
Now this just confirms that there is no way in hell that one can change peoples perceptions. If scientific research are classed here as "opinions" - then why would anyone bother?
While many posters have made a huge effort to write stuff up for "the general public" who does not want to read (or get their heads around) scientific research - yet gave the links - and you call that "opinions" - ok - over and out from me too then ...

I will join the lots of posters that have given up educating and just keep doing what they are doing ...

margyr, Apr 25, 12:09am
there is a time and a place for everything though, and in those threads where people ask advise then go ahead give it, but when people ask for a recipe for something it is not the time or the place to go on about food choices, or personal rubbishing of someone elses recipe.

hezwez, Apr 25, 12:09am
Promise?

buzzy110, Apr 25, 12:12am
Having recently suffered a criticism of a recipe I gave on this site from your very self margy that is a bit hypocritical isn't it?

margyr, Apr 25, 12:13am
what was that buzzy?

buzzy110, Apr 25, 12:17am
Yeah we promise. Already we are offering less and less recipesand cooking help in this site so you better get out your recipe books and bone up on techniques and cooking tips because very soon the lucky, lucky people on this site will only have you and all the other supporters of #1 sentiments to turn to. We real cooks will confine ourselves to those opinion threads we are welcome in.

Also it is interesting, when we provide no activity on these boards, instead of giving help to questioners, ellihen often drifts into our sites with her inane and totally irrelevant posts instead.