Salad help

sherrydog, Dec 26, 8:07pm
Have been asked to take a salad - not green - to a function on Sat.Any ideas please!I've a few well tried and used salads but would like something different.
Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks.

rainrain1, Dec 26, 8:18pm
2 cups shell pasta (or spiral)
2 tomatoes
1 onion
1 small green pepper
1 cucumber

Dressing
1/2 cup sugar,
1/2 cup vege oil
1tsp salt
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
pepper and pinch paprika
Shake altogether in jar
Pour over the cut up vegetables and cooked pasta, leaving tomatoes out till ready to serve, (although I have found that doesn't matter too much if tomatoes are firm)

roadie, Dec 26, 8:37pm
Google orzo salad with cherry tomato and capsicum. Has a yummy dressing, and very easy to make.Or morrocan couscous salad http://www.azcentral.com/style/hfe/recipes/articles/0528couscous0528rec.html!nclick_check=1with the skin of a zucchini - a bit more fiddly but perfect for summer BBQ. Made with couscous, capsicum, currants . Very yummy! Took both and a green one on Christmas day, and received lots of compliments.The second one is best made the day before, which is nice as you then don't need to rush. Also to serve at room temp. So that makes it good to take to other places.

pickles7, Dec 26, 9:17pm
I always take this salad. It lends itself to be suitable for two courses, often it is saved for dessert, if there are enough other salads for the main meal.
There will be a lot of cheap bananas around right now.
Banana salad

Main meal
Slice very ripe bananas, toss in a little lemon,juice. throw in a handful or two coconut ribbons. [ usually a bulk food product.]
Dress with sour cream, loosened with milk.

Dessert
If any over from the main add pineapple pieces, marshmallow's, a bit of juice from the pineapple.

Dress with yogurt, for a lighter option.

nauru, Dec 27, 1:53am
Curried Chickpea Salad.

Can chickpeas drained or 2 cups cooked chickpeas, 1/2 red onion or 1 spring onion finely chopped , 1/2 red pepper finely diced, 1 garlic clove finely chopped, salt & pepper to taste, 2 tablsp mayonnaise, 2 tablsp sour cream, 1 teasp curry powder, 1/2 teasp gd cumin, 1 tablsp fresh coriander chopped. Mix all ingredients together and put in dish and chill until required. Also good to do day before & chill overnight.
This is a favourite with family and friends

wildflower, Dec 27, 2:42am
I did the Food in a Minute Southwest pasta one for xmas dinner, even better by tea time when the flavours in the left overs had had more time to develop.

sherrydog, Dec 27, 4:10am
Thank you all so much.Plan on doing 2 of the ones suggested.Weight off mind!Happy New Year and thanks again.

nik12, Dec 27, 10:08am
Broccauli with red onion and red capsicum and any dressing. bit of cooked bacon is nice too.
Or plain old pasta with ham, cheese and spring onion. yum! I use condendesed milk dressing. add some to start with then add more before serveing 'coz it soaks it up.

carlosjackal, Dec 28, 9:43am
This is a Pasta Salad made with only 4 ingredients. I couldn't count the number of times I have made this or of the wonderful comments I have received about it over the years.

It is super quick and easy and my "go to" recipe if I have to make something to take to a barbeque - in a hurry (and sometimes even when I'm not in a hurry). I just guage the amount of each ingredient and add more or less according to taste. Here goes:

Beer Stick Pasta Salad:

1. Pasta - I use San Remo spirals (spinach, tomato and plain mixed) Penne, Fusilli, Ditalini, Rigatoni, Conchiglie, Farfalloni or similar are also a good choice.

2. Spring onion - about 6-8 finely chopped.

3. Bier Sticks - Sliced thinly (or Kransky or Chorizo but Bier sticks are better to use in this recipe as they are firm and therefore slice well).

4. Thousand Island Dressing

Cook Pasta in salted water until el dente, drain and toss through chopped spring onions and sliced beer sticks

Add Thousand Island Dressing and gently mix through.

Do not refrigerate before taking to BBQ - just cover the bowl with cling film and allow the flavours to meld/develop.

This is so yummy that I've never wanted to "play" around with it and change anything - I've always opted to make an entirely different pasta salad than change this one in any way. As they say: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or "why change a good thing"

People who have tasted it are stunned in disbelief when I tell them how few ingredients there are to it. Many of our friends (and family) have replicated this recipe for years now. It is seriously THAT good!

Note: I should probably edit it to 5 ingredients as I omitted to say that I usually add some good quality Olive Oil to the salty water for an extra layer of flavour, also the Dressing is easier to fold through if the pasta is slippery. (If that makes sense!).

tramore, Dec 28, 7:41pm
I made a cauliflower salad for Christmas and it was really simple and nice.Lust break into small flowerlets and stir in apricot yoghurt!That's it!No cooking, the cauli is raw.