Xmas Left Overs

Page 1 / 2
pom4, Dec 25, 10:07pm
Whats everyone making tonight with their Xmas Left Over food!

uli, Dec 25, 10:08pm
I have no leftovers, so I will be cooking some meat and veges :)

pickles7, Dec 25, 10:15pm
Nothing ova here.

gayle6, Dec 25, 10:52pm
I am doing a frittata with turkey, new potatoes, brussel sprouts and carrots!

kaddiew, Dec 25, 11:07pm
You're cooking! Too damn hot & humid to do anything here.Leftover lamb and salads stuffed into my homemade pita pockets (taken from the freezer). For one.

lythande1, Dec 25, 11:40pm
Leftovers! Why do people buy/cook too much food in the first place!
No leftovers ever in my house.

elliehen, Dec 25, 11:41pm
No eggs in your house!

nfh1, Dec 25, 11:46pm
Leftovers here from yesterday dinner, going to be gobbled up for lunch.I find it really difficult to know how much to cook when we have people here and always do too much - not sure how you manage to get just the right amount lythande1.

We had rice salad, potato salad, chicken breasts and of course ham left!

sarahb5, Dec 25, 11:55pm
We didn't buy too much but we bought enough that there would be leftovers and I wouldn't have to cook for a few days - the next few meals will just be "assembled" from what we already have rather than cooked.Tonight we're having turkey and cranberry salad, tomorrow will be salads and fresh baked bread with the rest of the ham (only buy a small boneless one - about 1kg), smoked chicken and the last of the salmon.It's impossible to have too much food in a house with 2 teenage boys!

rainrain1, Dec 26, 12:07am
we eat them, they taste better the next day

vintagekitty, Dec 26, 12:16am
lol 100 different ways of using ham. I have farrrr too much food - even for us, and I am abit overhelmed. Way, way over catered this year and despite sending people home with food I have heaps.

And biggest problem (lol) is what to do with my collection of cheeses, I have far to much cheese and we love cheese but its stuff like blues, 2 big wheels of brie, some creamy blue etc., Can I freeze it!, we can use the wee wedges of the other cheeses but I shall turn into a mouse before we crack open the big wedges.

vintagekitty, Dec 26, 12:17am
oh and currently eating pav with extra brandy cream, blueberries and strawberries, tis good

eastie3, Dec 26, 12:51am
I also have heaps left over - it was too hot to eat trifle and pav yesterday, and even the cold meat and salads were only picked at. I threw the desserts out and we will slowlyclean up the lamb and ham over the next couple of days.

nfh1, Dec 26, 12:52am
Just finished some ambrosia off - it was lovely.It is quite good, for once, to have lunch already prepared - just had to open a few containers.

iriegirl, Dec 26, 1:03am
You could freeze it but it just won't be as nice when defrosted, unless you cook with it. If you feel like cooking, you could make some croquettes and crumb them and freeze for later, or a fondue!

groomingtools, Dec 26, 1:18am
i love having leftovers - apart from storage problems even with 2 fridges.As I am going away for a long weekend with 2 lady friends husband cannot complain about having to cook.This is the first time I have been away at Christmas for 38 years and he can experience what I do with our amount of animals (and a few extras) the rest of the year.He can also run my business for those days.I wont take my I PAd and unless it is urgent, when he can ring me, I dont want to know.I am going to eat, drink, read, sleep, shop (not much money though)

elliehen, Dec 26, 1:34am
As sarahb5 says in her post.it's more like forward planning to give the cooks a holiday.Creative cooks do that throughout the year too.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 26, 1:35am
It's certainly a good feeling to open the fridge and see enough suitable food for another day or two.

vintagekitty, Dec 26, 1:57am
Because I can. And we have a open house policy, so never know how many are going to drop inI don't start cooking regular meals until after NY's.

davidt4, Dec 26, 3:57am
An uneaten half side of gravlax (salmon) was smoked this morning in between showers and will be our dinner along with some boiled new potatoes and runner beans.

gingercrush, Dec 26, 4:07am
No idea about tonight, Not that much left. Half a packet of surimi. Smoked salmon. Some cheeses and salmon pate. Oh and ham, ham, ham, ham. Finished the other leftovers for lunch.

uli, Dec 26, 4:07am
Yes you can freeze them.
And they are as good as new if you shock freeze below 25 degrees and then later defrost in the fridge.

elliehen, Dec 26, 4:54am
Everyone (almost) went off to play or watch cricket today, but some chose to stay home and prepare a new stack of salads for tonight, including Tabbouleh, Potato & Egg, with a watercress salad to be assembled at the last moment to have with grilled Haloumi.

fifie, Dec 26, 5:09am
Only mr and i tonight, will open the fridge and its a lucky dip, made a couple of fresh salads for lunch thats it, no cooking for me today.

toadfish, Dec 26, 4:33pm
We make sure there are generous amounts on the table, knowing there will be no waste as whatevers not eaten on the day will be left overs over the next couple.
In saying that - we had xmas breakfast here and apart from left over fresh fruit which we are thoroughly enjoying. we are sadly without leftovers.
We waste very little in this house. Meals are either planned around what needs eating or frozen.
I have a ham bone just gone in the freezer. will be soup one day.mmmm