Help re butterflied huge chicken cooking time!

rectech, Dec 24, 12:43am
Sent husband to buy a chicken to supplement the ham for tomorrow and came back with a size 30 monster.Thought it would be quicker and easier to butterfly/spatchcock it. But how long to I cook it for! It is 2.75kg. Normal cooking time would ahve been 2.5 hours according to package. Would about 1.5 hours be okay! Don't want to poison anyone.

davidt4, Dec 24, 1:20am
Bring the bird to room temperature before you put it in the oven - in this weather that will only take half an hour.I'd give it about one and a half hours at 180C, and if you plan to serve it hot leave plenty of time to rest it for at least half an hour.You can check if it's cooked through by making a small slit where the drumstick joins the thigh - that is the thickest part and the flesh should be opaque and pale pink.If it's still translucent give it another ten minutes.

245sam, Dec 24, 1:21am
wow rectech, you do have a monster chicken to get cooked - obviously your husband was making sure that everyone will be well fed!

I have had a look through my butterflied/spatchcocked chicken recipes and while most just give a specific time, one actually advises "Roast at200°Cfor15 minutes per 500g - baste with juices occasionally" so based on that you should be ok with cooking "the monster" for 1½ hours.

Hope that helps - happy Christmas:-)).