Cooking extra stuffing question

anne1955, Dec 23, 10:05pm
Gosh this is a year for me doing things I never have.how do I cook extra stuffing oplease bird is all full :)And plenty over to much to waste and I love stuffing so how do you cook it when not inside a bird!Thanks Anne

davidt4, Dec 23, 11:19pm
Pack the stuffing into a buttered ovenproof dish, bake it about half an hour whenever is convenient, reheat before serving.You could also bake it in a buttered loaf tin and turn it out to serve, cut it into slices at the table.

kiwinanny, Dec 23, 11:19pm
Can't you just wrap it up in tinfoil and cook it beside the bird!

245sam, Dec 23, 11:22pm
Anne, I have tried all of the following
Cook the extra stuffing in greased muffin trays if you'd like to serve it as individual portions or otherwise in a greased tin or dish - you'll probably need to cover the top of the tin or dish unless you want a really crunchy top or you may like to dot the top with some butter.
or
Place the stuffing on a length of baking paper and shape it into a roll, then wrap the roll in baking paper (and from memory I think I then wrapped the baking paper roll in foil) and bake it.

This is what I'm doing for tomorrow.

APRICOT AND GINGER STUFFING
½ cup dried apricots
boiling water
1 onion
1 tbsp grated root ginger
1½ cups soft breadcrumbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 egg

Place apricots in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and leave to rehydrate for about 1 hour. Drain and chop. Peel and finely chop the onion. Mix onion, apricots, ginger, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and egg together until well combined.
Use to stuff chicken or turkey or bake in muffin tins at 180°C for 10 minutes.
Makes about 1½ cups.

Because I make our turkey into a variation of Alison Holst's Roast Chicken Casserole I like to provide some extra stuffing for those who like more than just the stuffing mix that tops the casserole. I have used the above recipe for that reason and cooked it in muffins tins - it was a popular choice so I'm doing the same again this year.

Hope that helps and Happy Christmas.:-))

datoofairy, Dec 23, 11:27pm
The times I bother to make my own stuffing, I always make extra,wrap it in tin foil and stick it in the oven and hour or so before the chicken is due to come out.

sarahb5, Dec 24, 4:38am
My dad used to make stuffing balls - about the same size as a golf ball and baked around the bird for the last half an hour or so - delicious on the day or cold the next day

anne1955, Dec 24, 5:41am
Thanks so much people.I have done things this year I have never done before and been a great learning curve with the help of this board.Silly damn thing is I have catered for wedding and many other things.but never done a glazed fruit cake did 3 and they looked great they went to my local hospice.I have never wanted to have extra stuffing but I love it.and tomorrow I am feeding a group of oldies with no where to go.so figured they probably love stuffing and the likes :)I am doing a baked ham glazed as yet not done.but odd the few things in my life I have never been able to do are simple things.my jellies are always not set or like glue.I have asked one of the old girls to two them for me.and me and custard made from custard powder are a no go.I always have to sieve it and and use two pots.just done that so about to make the triffle ready to cream.I make amazing pan gravy so why I can't do simple things is beyound me haha. And was chuffed to see how to pre do vegies bugger it uses olive oil I only have very expensive stuff but to have it ready to cook I'll do it.I want to be able to have my day til 4ish to self.I haven't done a Xmas for years over 6 my family life in WA and haven't seen them for that long.but where my girl lives Xmas is temps of of 40 so not me even if I could afford it.haha I normally take myself off to a quite spot eat my treats.smoked salmon and tinned lamb's tounges only tinned because buying them is near on impossible.so with the help from here might even get a nana nap get vegies cooked reheat bird, top puddings with cream salads done just needing dressing on all ready to go.and have a few wines. thanks people.

fifie, Dec 24, 9:05am
anne the glazed cakes are lovely arn't they, pleased they worked out for you.
Enjoy your day tomorrow with all your goodies and friends,what i love about this board we are always learning something.
Ask your butcher to order you in a ox tongue, don't think you can get lambs ones or we can't, they are lovely in this warm weather with a salad.Have a nice day and Merry Xmas.