Has anyone made a key lime pie with normal limes

gerry64, Dec 23, 3:25am
Have already googled this -some sites say yes some say no -just wondering if anyone has tried it -or should I mix lemon and lime juice maybe

taurushat, Dec 23, 4:33am
Yes, I've only ever used real limes, however they were expensive at the time

gerry64, Dec 23, 4:42am
Cheers -they are not too expensive over here in oz at the moment so thought I would give it a go

taurushat, Dec 23, 4:52am
Ha.I'm, in Oz too, I made mine about 6 months ago and the were 90c ea then.

gerry64, Dec 23, 5:31am
WW had them $4.98kg here in Bathurst today - I am sure last week they were about $29kg - some poor grower has probably been ripped off!

groomingtools, Dec 23, 5:35am
Ordinary limes are fine

gerry64, Dec 23, 6:28am
I think I will use emerill whatever hisname is recipe - has lots of good comments

macwood2, Dec 23, 9:36am
Made key lime pie for the first time last week, thought it was ok.Made Erin Lanard's recipe.Don't know if I would bother again.

jackthecat1, Dec 23, 9:48am
I was going to make it never have made it before anyone got a fantastic recipe and by the way is it like a cheesecake.

gerry64, Dec 23, 9:58am
Would you recommend a lemon tart instead macwood

iriegirl, Dec 23, 5:13pm
gerry64, key limes are a variety of lime, and are harvested when green but actually ripen to yellow. I'm really unsure if you could obtain them in Austraila, unless someone is growing that variety vs. the more common, varieties such as Tahitian. So your key lime pie would just become a lime pie, and if you've never had the other, then I really wouldn't go into splitting limes, so to speak! Enjoy your lime pie!

macwood2, Dec 23, 8:10pm
yes to the lemon tart, gerry64.Tho' as iriegirl said probably shouldn't judge unless used the key limes.It was just like a cheesecake.It was very quick to make I must say.

gerry64, Dec 23, 8:58pm
cheers mac - the limes were an impulse buy really as they were so cheap - last lemon meringue pie I made turned itself into meringue covered lemon soup!